No. of Recommendations: 0
The answer is "probably". But estimated taxes are "pay as you go", so you do not have to pay taxes before you make the income. You want to download Form 1040-ES (as I recall). These taxes are to be paid April 15, June 15, September 15, and the following January 15, for income earned in between those times.

I have paid estimated taxes in Massachusetts but not Federally. The Mass. form is basically just a pay stub where you put your name down and the amount you are paying. You don't list the source of income or anything.

I don't use any of the tax preparation software, but I imagine if you did a phantom return, estimating your income, those programs would give you a good idea of what your total tax ought to be.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.