Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The answer to your questions is , I think, it depends. I have margin interest for the first time myself this year, but I think I have figured it out.

On Schedule A for Itemizing Deductions, there is a line for Investment Interest and a note to fill out form 4952. Basically what this says is that you can only deduct Investment Interest to the extent that you have Investment Income.

In my case, I paid $70.10 in margin interest. I received only $20 in interest income from a savings account.

So the bottom line, is that I can only deduct $20 from this year's taxes, but can carry over the $50.10 to perhaps take next year.

There can be other complications as well. So check out the instructions for Schedule A and Form 4952 for more details.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.