Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
The article is full of you know what. Talk about biased crap from someone with something to sell! The guy runs managed accounts, which are a little like extremely expensive custom mutual funds for the affluent set. If you run enough of them, at least a few will be in the top 1% of all managed accounts out there, as this guy's bio claims. Ignore this nonsense.

As to what to do to keep it all together and juice returns, I suspect you will get a variety of answers. I have consolidated all my 401ks except the one with my current employer into a single IRA that I manage. The only mutual funds I own are in my 401k because I have no other choice. All my other accounts are in individual equities, although I will occasionally buy a sector ETF when I think something is cheap. I have also used a Rydex fund to effectively short the bond market in the past. To keep things from getting confusing, all my accounts are with one brokerage (DW and I have six accounts, with a traditional IRA and a roth each, a taxable account, and a checking account).

To juice returns, I invest almost exclusively in small caps, which tend to provide excess returns, and more recently in low beta stocks, which tend to outperform what their volatility would suggest. I started buying low beta stocks in the past year or so simply because my portfolio of small caps was (and is) really volatile and I wanted some more steady stuff to balance it out. So far, so good!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.