Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
The articles only mention dividends and income because you can only deduct investment interest to the extent you have investment income which is taxed at ordinary rates. This is interest and non-qualified dividend income (and some less common items). However, you can choose to treat some or all of your qualified dividends and long-term capital gains as investment income by agree to let them be taxed at ordinary tax rates in lieu of the preferable long-term capital gains rates. You do this by including them on line 4g of Form 4952.

I'm not aware of any method to determine whether treating the capital gains as investment income on Form 4952 is advantageous other than actually running the numbers and seeing what your final tax liability is.

There is no tax linkage between the margin loan(s) and the specific shares purchased with the borrowed money.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.