Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The benchmarking, the way it's set up, is my port, 60% cash or not, vs. a 100% investment in the SPY from day one. That may be industry standard, but it's not very realistic.

The flipside of the argument would be, if the manager cannot beat the benchmark, why bother paying management fees, atleast in case of mutual funds but also in case of paid services at Motley Fool. Instead why not just index. Those fees can add up.

It may not apply here though, since rising star is completely free service. I personally always hold my self against a benchmark and stick to it. If I cannot beat it, then I have no business actively managing my own portfolio.

BTW, if your personal benchmark is hurdle rate of 15%, that's even bolder and demanding than crushing SPY over long term. It is possible that over next 3-5 years, SPY might come close to that return, but over long term, it won't. I like your confidence. Again, I am glad I can follow your picks here for free.

Keep up the good work! Thanks.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.