Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 84
A bit long.

My wife is currently getting an undergrad degree in computer science. Yesterday, I went to pick her up at her C++ lab. When I entered the classroom, she introduced me to her professor, who said upon meeting me, "So, you're the Mac guy, huh?".

Seems my wife had mentioned to this guy that we had Macs at home, to which he replied, "Mac?! But you have a PC too, right?"

"Nope. Just Macs."

The guy was a little bothered by the mere thought.

(BTW, why, if I use a Mac am I a "Mac Guy"? I wear clothes from the Gap. Am I a "Gap guy"?)

Anyway, he starts to give me crap. Why don't I have Wintel? How ever do I get through the day?

I shrug off most of his questions simply by saying that I prefer Macs over PCs, but soon some of his other students join in with the peer pressure. Like an after school special, "C'mon...use Windows. Everyone's doin' it!". Most of the other students are enlisted Marines, so at least they say "sir" when they tease me.

Not one to take this lying down, I go into a lengthy dissertation on why NT sucks. We just had Win2000 & Office 2000 installed on the office computers, and it's been frustrating to say the least. User preferences that disappear, files that refuse to open, programs that close without warning. The other day I unplugged what I assumed was a hot plugabble CD-RW drive. Apparently, NT "re-mapped" the drives (whatever the hell that means) and all of a sudden my desktop no longer functions. Took me a couple of hours and a visit to the data geeks to figure that out.

Anyway, he laughs and starts babbling on about file trees and how the disks are "mounted" and starts asking questions that I can't answer. "See," he says, "its not Windows. You just don't know enough about your machine. You should take some classes."

"No," I say, "I'd rather just use a Mac and have it work right away rather than use Windows and have to get a damn degree to unf**k the thing."

He had no retort.

Standabove
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.