Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The best most of us can do is take distributions in low income/low tax years if you will have any or spread them over as many years as possible to avoid getting pushed into a higher tax bracket.

When she retires, you will want to look at her income changes and deductions. Some have pension income that replaces earned income causing no change in income tax rates. Others see income decline and may have lower tax rates. Many have lower income requirements as they no longer pay into savings and retirement programs. Some are in position to take income from IRAs or similar programs. Then you can adjust income to match expenses, which can reduce your taxable income and your tax rate. One size does not fit all.

If mandatory distributions would push you into a higher tax bracket you can consider reducing taxable income with charitable contributions. Many charities have charitable remainder trusts where you make a partially deductible contribution to the trust and the trust pays you regular payments for life. The deductibility of the contribution is based on your life expectancy when you make the contribution.

There are probably other similar plans, but ultimately, the bottom line is mandatory distributions forces you to pay income taxes on the funds. And generally either you pay taxes or give it away.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.