Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I hope some of you can enlighten me....

I'm big on natural gas, especially for utilities and industrial uses.  I think the demand in those sectors could make NG a very profitable arena.  I think the demand from the transporation sector (Buses, Trucks, Cars) will be minimal. The U.S. has a tremendous supply of NG and it will probably be a net exporter. 

I don't like solar becuase they need governemnt subsidies to exist.

I keep looking at CHK as a solid play, but I don't understand what is wrong with this stock.  They have a tremendous upside when people start seeing the NG solution.

Aren't they the biggest producer of NG in the U.S.?

DVN is a decent play, but I think CHK is better...

Apparently the experts and the market don't agree with me

Why is it being downgraded?  Is there a better NG play?

Print the post Back To Top

I bought UNG and its Oct call options today, my first ever NG holdings.

Here are some thoughts I posted yesterday and Fools added some of their picks in the comments.

I used to like CHK but they made acquisitions at the exact wrong time, had debt concerns that were alleviated by selling off portions of their business, their CEO had a massive margin call forcing him to sell his shares (this was the time to buy, at $12), and then their comp committee gave the CEO special pay that was ridiculous considering what he'd done to the company. They're still a major player, but I would prefer DVN of the two.

CHK, DVN, and other NG focused companies are overleveraged in my opinion.  Also, I would not trust my money with CHK because the CEO is fiscally irresponsible.  He lost hundreds of millions of his own money buying CHK on margin.

I prefer combined oil & gas majors (COP, XOM/XTO, ECA, TLM, etc. have plenty of NG exposure) along with a few of the smaller trusts and E&Ps.

I don't like COP because their margins are lower than their peers.  And i'm leary of XOM because of their size, and I'm not sure how much the stock will benefit from the XTO acquisition.

Maybe XOM is the best long term play.  CVX looks promising too, but again the size issue comes into play again.

I'm torn!

I wish there were some more clear cut options, and I wish CHK's CEO wasn't so careless.

there are lots of other producers to look at. apa, hess, hk, eog, eca, nfx, sm, xec, ect.

soo many to choose from. i work in the industry, so i dont want to make any comments about any specific company.

also, i am currently writing a paper for my finance class about the new SEC reserve booking will effect the industry. do you guys have any thoughts on that?

seems gas is out of favor in the market right now, unlike oil. I have DVN, CHK, XOM, XTO, EP, TCLP, MRO right now and also like BP (great yield).since we have so much NG here vs oil,  we should be switching to it where practical (power gen and vehicles) and even possibly exporting it.