Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

So the nice folks at TMF have posted an article looking at potential best small caps for 2007. Here's my take on each of their nominees:

Atheros (ATHR): On the fence on this one. CAPS clearly loves it, but they love and Fool.com recommendation. Seems like a solid company, but I'm less certain on the valuation. MARKET PERFORM?

Walter Industries (WLT): I see growth potential. moderate OVERPERFORM

Dawson Geophysical (DWSN): Like all of Oil, it has a pretty low P/E right now. OVERPERFORM

Form Factor (FORM): I'm not convinced this is going anywhere. MARKET PERFORM (no CAPS rating for me)

Texas Roadhouse (TXRH): The CAPS sheep are somewhat skeptical, having blessed it with only 4 stars. I don't see much to love there. MARKET PERFORM or worse.

Syneron (ELOS): Israel is an automatic red flag for me. I really don't trust them to ever be stable enough to outperform the S&P. That said, it does look pretty cheap. very tentative OVERPERFORM.

Portfolio Recovery Associates (PRAA): I've been long on this for a while. There are going to be a lot more defaulters as Americans continue to overspend and not save. Can't argue with the ratios. STRONG OVERPERFORM

KongZhong (KONG): Wow, what a dumb company name.Seems like one of those "what exactly do they do?" companies, but obviously they make money seeing the low P/E. But you know, it looks like a value pick. Let's say unenthusiastic OVERPERFORM

Tempur-Pedic (TPX): Mmmm that is a juicy P/E. Must be a reason for that, but I won't dwell on it. OVERPERFORM

Encysive Pharmaceuticals (ENCY): Stocks like this are why some people think of investing as gambling. Either the drug is approved, and they get bought out, or don't, and go bankrupt. Europe having approved it is nice though. OVERPERFORM, but too risky for me.

Volcom (VLCM): Hello fad, pleased to meet you. Can you last through 2007? Of course, it's not that expensive right now. Slight UNDERPERFORM

American Science and Engineering (ASEI): Government contracts are nice. OVERPERFORM

Pan American Silver (PAAS): I'm leery of anything that has recently had a big run-up. CAPS isn't in love with it. MARKET PERFORM

Labor Ready (LRW): Looks pretty good from a valuation standpoint. CAPS likes it. Management seems a litlte shady. Tempered OVERPERFORM.

Middleby (MIDD): Has had a fantastic run lately. 2007 should be good for it overall. Still, I expect stagnation for the first half of the year. Modest OVERPERFORM

My Rankings:

Given my blessing (CAPS Overperform calls)

1. PRAA

2. DWSN

3. WLT

4. MIDD

Moderately recommended

5. TPX

6. ASEI

7. ENCY

8. LRW

9. ELOS

10. KONG

Not recommended

11. ATHR

12. PAAS

13. FORM

14. TXRH

15. VLCM

Overall I think it's a pretty decent group of stocks, which isn't shocking since FOOL is usually pretty good. Even Volcom, my least favorite of the bunch, didn't earn a CAPS underperform from me. Still, a lot of them look like mediocre performers with the extra risk of being small cap.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.