Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Worth pointing out that Nokia has also grown its cash pile as has (although the numbers are much much smaller) ARM.

DD
Hell, what were the big five? The message has been mysteriously erased, by the thought police. Care to repost "within" the Fools guidelines?
No. of Recommendations: 6
Care to repost..

Sure. You can read it here without having to worry...

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stocktalk/msg.gsp?msgid=18375742

BB
No. of Recommendations: 3
Worth pointing out that Nokia has also grown its cash pile as has (although the numbers are much much smaller) ARM.

Although the article got removed due to copyright restrictions, I thought it was an appropriate follow up to my previous post about the gorillas gathering their coconuts and bananas during the thin times to come out on the other side of a recession in pretty good order. Hopefully, the link I provided to the same article at SI will work for those who want to read it. In specific, that post was about Redback and the consolidation process within the gear provider industry. The article did a nice job of taking a look at how Cisco, Microsoft, Intel, Dell and Oracle have been building cash and gathering all of their chestnuts during these weaker lean years.

I haven't seen any of the cash numbers for Nokia or ARM, but imagine that throughout the technology space the survivors for the longer term are all doing the same - be they gorillas or kings.

BB
Speaking of RBAK, can they make it out of their pit?
Speaking of RBAK, can they make it out of their pit?

I said this about their segment in the following post about 5 weeks ago which still holds true:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18187500

When studying the space (which is filled with plenty of pits to climb out of), don't neglect the customer base to study how they are climbing out and who they are buying their gear from in terms of the networkers. I think the market has it right in terms of the pit Redback faces climbing out of at the moment.

For that matter, a lot of the same study within specific software games could be carried out to see who has the deepest pit to climb out of. Although I haven't been posting on this board about some of that, I am most impressed with some of the developments over the last year with Bea Systems in terms of the criteria gamers use and the way things are shaping up for the future of WL.

BB
Is it unreasonable to think of Cisco, Intel, and Dell as merely new age commodities?

TB
No. of Recommendations: 4
Is it unreasonable to think of Cisco, Intel, and Dell as merely new age commodities?

Isn't that what Enron was supposed to be all about?

BB
No. of Recommendations: 1

TB

Commodities {in the purpose/sense of economic reasoning} are valuable because they are needed/necessary for production. To characterize the "Big 5" as commodities is a distortion, while they may dominate their markets, they are not monopolistic commodities.

Analogy: GM, Ford, and Honda sells cars, lots & lots of them; but I can buy a Lotus, a Ferrari, or a McLaren. All cars are not the same,some require incentives (zero % fianancing) to be sold, and some have waiting lists, but they all do transport people.

¤~sunray

{{And, I have not touched upon inelasticity of demand.}}