Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Apparently, Q just told his Daddy that when he gets bigger, he wants to smoke like Grandma.

Now, coming from a 3.5 year old boy that also thinks he wants to be a soldier, a cop AND Santa Claus well....let's just say I'm less than concerned about this, at this particular moment.

Examples of the randomness from Q lately:

1) DN and I are getting married, with flowers and everything.

2) The Other Woman is very pretty, and is DN'sBestFriend'sName's GF. She visits sometimes.

3) Skateboards are presents for birthdays. They are on the list for groceries.

4) Cookies aren't snacks. They are cookies.

5) Boys can paint their toenails like Mommies do, but only if they use blue. Or Orange, on their birthdays.

As you can see, not much in the way of "panic inducing", and I can only assume the smoking thing is in direct relation to the fact that I am the only one living here that does not. BIL doesn't, but he is rarely around, Little Sis does. When we are all outside playing, the Nicotine Heads are puffing away. Not much I can do about that.

I am sure that, at some point this last weekend, Quinten said "I want to smoke" and Grandma said "Only adults can smoke", which his brain translated into "when I get bigger, I want to smoke." Tomorrow, he will do the same thing with another object or bad habit. It's just....something....his brain does to process things.

I certainly don't think I can have a serious discussion on why smoking isn't a good idea, even though the rest of this relatives (INCLUDING DN'S) do, not at his age. Maybe at 5, when I start with the condom talks?

So anyway, DN tells me that I should "talk to my mother" and tell her to.....what, I'm not precisely sure. <sigh>

impolite
thought red was for birthdays
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
4) Cookies aren't snacks. They are cookies.

I'd agree with that one.

RJ - thinks cookies are one of the 4 major food groups
I certainly don't think I can have a serious discussion on why smoking isn't a good idea, even though the rest of this relatives (INCLUDING DN'S) do, not at his age. Maybe at 5, when I start with the condom talks?

Hi imp

Apparently the Japanese have a saying that goes something like:

Your children don't become what you want them to be, they become what you are.

I think if you (and hopefully DN?) don't smoke then you're already setting the best example that you can.

boycosmo

p.s. If anyone who reads this takes umbrage with the saying and wants to point out that they didn't end up like their parents, please take it up with the Japanese, not with me. ;)
No. of Recommendations: 16
Can you smile and say something vague to DN that he'll interpret as you'll talk to your mother, and then not worry about it?

I mean, at 3.5, I think my son wanted to wear makeup when he was bigger, and live in England, because he spoke English. I told him if he still wanted to wear makeup when he was 16, that he could, and that we speak English in America, too, but if it made him feel better he could say he spoke "American."

That's the age when they say, "But I want *two* cookies!" and you break the cookie they're holding in two, one for each hand, and they toddle off perfectly happy. :-) DN overreacting...should not be your problem.

And if he tries to someday blame Q smoking on your mother (should Q smoke, which I doubt he will, just as I doubt my son will be wearing makeup at 16), maybe you can say, dryly, "I guess we'll know who's responsible if he ever cheats on his wife and blows up his life, huh?"

--Booa (okay, maybe that was too mean...nah. :-))
No. of Recommendations: 3
As you can see, not much in the way of "panic inducing", and I can only assume the smoking thing is in direct relation to the fact that I am the only one living here that does not. BIL doesn't, but he is rarely around, Little Sis does. When we are all outside playing, the Nicotine Heads are puffing away. Not much I can do about that.

<sigh> Oh, this would drive me nuts. Just... I really wish they would not do that around your kids. My mom used to, and I have to say I shamed her into going totally underground with it when she's around them. Which was obviously relatively easy for me, since she lives 5 hours away. A very sticky problem.
<sigh>
No. of Recommendations: 2
NOT THAT I'M TAKING DN'S SIDE!!!!
ROTJob:

<<<<4) Cookies aren't snacks. They are cookies.>>>>

"I'd agree with that one.

RJ - thinks cookies are one of the 4 major food groups"

Along with pizza, beer and _________????

Regards, JAFO

RJ - thinks cookies are one of the 4 major food groups"

Along with pizza, beer and _________????

impolite.

Duh.

RJ
I've told this story somewhere before... when N was a baby and E was about 5, she saw N put a Q-tip in her mouth, which I didn't worry about, choking-wise, because I was watching her. E became very agitated and said, "Mommy, the baby's smoking!!!!" and I said "No, honey, that's not a cigarette, it's a Q-tip." But she just kept saying "She's smoking! She's smoking!" until I took the Q-tip away. :)
No. of Recommendations: 0
ROTJob:

RJ - {{{{thinks cookies are one of the 4 major food groups"}}}}

"Along with pizza, beer and _________????"

"impolite.

Duh."

Didn't think you would appreciate me saying it, and you never offer to share, anyway. <grin>

Regards, JAFO

Aren't the various relatives at all concerned with second hand smoke?

It's been proven to affect non smoking family members ya know.
Not to mention the bad example thing.

Just felt I had to point that out...

-gs

Just felt I had to point that out...

-gs

To who, doll?

My parents have smoked the entire time I've been alive. When Little Sis was born at a little over 6 months gestation way back in the day, the doctors told them that, due to her immature lungs, they needed to smoke outside. So they started doing just that. They now smoke outside, or in the garage.

<shrug> I never picked it up, Little Sis did.

impolite
thinking "It IS their house, after all...."