Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

In a few minutes the break-up is expected. If it comes, could Gates be major owner and "real boss" of both separeted entities...If not, could he try it thru "pretnoms"? Will the present stockholders be better off?

The only break-ups we get in the tropics relate to
marriages and political alliances...

Konfell ( Rooting for the tall Dutch tonite)

Print the post Back To Top
As I understand it, Gates and some of the other principals would be precluded from owning both companies. They would have to choose.

I am not sure if Gates could choose one, and Ballmer the other, though. Interesting.
Anyone else see the Gates piece on 60 Minutes II last night? My first impression came while on a closeup of Gates' face... he's no boy wonder anymore. Not at all. I don't know why, exactly, but that kind of shocked me.

Second, he clearly now has a life outside of Microsoft. This could cause one to speculate on whether or not this breakup is a blow to Gates, or part of some plan. I don't mean to say that he arranged things in this way, but rather that it is covered already, no big deal, so let's just get on with it.

One of the resulting companies will get the bulk of the intellectual talent, that is the way I would play it if I was at Microsoft now. I'm sure there will be a lot of jockeying to end up in the right place. From what I know, it's all about perception of raw brainpower there, and I'll bet there is a rush to end up at the "smart" company. How will we know which one is the smart one?

Rick
No. of Recommendations: 1
My take is that when Gates stepped down as CEO back in January, this was at least in part a defensive move by Microsoft.

If Gates was CEO when the company split, there would be a lot of wrangling over "who gets Gates?" By removing himself from the equation earlier, he allowed the "split" companies to start off on equal footing. There is no company which "loses" Gates in the split. Personally, I doubt there will be the same emotion over "who gets Ballmer?" as there would be with ol' Billy.

I'm sure this wasn't the only reason for the move, but it probably affected the timing, IMO.

--WP
By removing himself from the equation earlier, he allowed the "split" companies to start off on equal footing.

I figured it was the same with that really smart guy, too, the director of research or whatever, Myrvold(sp?)? I can't recall the spelling, but he is the guy that legend claims was the only one intellectually equal to Gates.

Rick
No. of Recommendations: 5

Nothing has happened at all and nothing will happen at all; it's just another east coast carpetbagging deal gone gefuctet, with a two-inch hurdle thrown in the path of progress, and long-dead issues settled to the satisfaction of the catatonic east coast oligarchy. PencilPr!k Jackson and that dumb@ss "dialectic immaterialism" Georgetown crowd are insanely paranoid jealous of west coast tech dominance. So is AOL/TimeWarner/CNN/CIA, which had no clue how to even make a faqing browser out there. Desperately, they let Mister Softee pummel Netscape just enough to enable AOL to buy Netscape. Then as soon AOL had its worthless, past-peak prize in hand, they went to work to get an operating system, so they too could boot a little itty bitty part of the world. Of course AOL/CNN/CIA is fifty times too dumb to know how to get one, even with the oligarchical Republican courts behind them. Now they imagine "one will emerge". Meanwhile, the new Baby Bill will patch things up with Scott McNally and now you will see not only Ballmer running the Applications but also a really nice Baby Bill-java partnership that will dominate Internet appliances and return AOLTedTurnerPeople to its natural level of relevancy, right up there with TV Guide.

jeanpaulsartre
Meanwhile, the new Baby Bill will patch things up with Scott McNally and now you will see not only Ballmer running the Applications but also a really nice Baby Bill-java partnership that will dominate Internet appliances and return AOLTedTurnerPeople to its natural level of relevancy, right up there with TV Guide.

Hey, easy man. Britney Spears was on the cover of TV Guide this week, and it doesn't get more relevant than that.

http://www.britney-spears.com/

You know you want to click that link...

Rick
Then as soon AOL had its worthless, past-peak
prize in hand, they went to work to get an operating system, so they too could boot a
little itty bitty part of the world.

With 22-million subscribers, what are the odds that AOL is also being looked at by the DOJ?

Maybe you don't think much of Netscape as a browser, but as a tool to leverage MSFT it worked very well for McNally & Co.

Dub

Machiavelli had nothin' on these guys.
The gov is gonna spank these boys bad...Dr Dos finally gets revenge...but they could still wiggle out of it...give a couple of billion to the Bushmeister and the Gorebore campaigns...probably make the hurt go away...

http://www.sjmercury.com/business/microsoft/trial/filings/memo060700.htm
From what I know, it's all about perception of raw brainpower there, and I'll bet there is a rush to end up at the "smart" company. How will we know which one is the smart one?

Follow Nathan Myhrvold.

Tom C.
No. of Recommendations: 2

Follow Nathan Myhrvold.

Juno, juan time I follow Nathan Myhrvold. He go down to Baja for the albacores. I see him with his deep sea rod out the back of the boat, where we call the stern, and Iyam in the front, where we call the bow. I strike a beeg one. I am yelling, "Myhrvold, help, help, I have 200 pound of feesh!" But Nathan, he jus looking out at the ocean, all in a loco daze.

I fight this feesh 45 minutes, and de feesh no closer to the boat. Nathan still in a loco daze. Finally something cut my line. I say, "Nathan? Why you no help?"

He say, "You need help? It's right on the end of the Windows menu. I'm not your motherfaqing tech support."

E vero.

But anyways, boy, this General Reno, the one with the turkey neck and the hippo arms, she is tough, eh? First she steal my Alien with firearms. Now she rip Guillermo G in two like an old 5 1/4 inch floppy. Not bad for a womans with so much back arm fat.

BdW, why you make so much fun of Benter? I am hopefuls for the CRA to make me rich now that Alien will never. So what if he as sore as Pancho Villa all times? Isn't that the way all you business gringos are?

OK, I go feesh now. Feesh are yumping. An de cotton is -iiiigh.

DonatoPescador