Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
The Buffett Partnership started with $100,000 in a decent climate in the fifties...and his returns were 10%, 40%, 25%, 22%....in fact, he had one 50+% year in the thirteen years he ran his partnership."

I've wondered this myself. The 50% figure gets thrown around, but Buffett himself didn't achieve anywhere near that rate. His returns were great but in the 20-30% range even in his salad days. Maybe before his partnership he was doing that, but I doubt he was constrained by the size of his capital when he started with $105,100.

Maybe he is talking about being able to find individual issues that provide 50% returns, though he did much better than that on individual investments even much later. GEICO and AXP jumped substantially in the first couple years after he bought the stock for example.

Like a lot of things that Buffett says (such as the 20-punch-card rule), I think you need to look at the concept or idea, and not necessarily the specifics...

T
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.