Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
By that I mean OOP but Classy is classier! 😇

My latest php framework is object oriented but since I was writing apps for a single user (me) I didn't have to think about a "User" class. That's what I've been coding these past two days, better than worrying about the market meltdown. ;)

Once you have a User class that carries its own data you no longer need relational databases to store the data, instead I'll have a single User database table that stores the User "objects" simplifying the database aspect of the app. For now the User class only saves and gets the users' data and the next step is to link it up with all the other classes like WhiteList and BlackList.

Getting there!

They say that we have two halves of the brain that work differently. In programming there is structure and process. I'm good at setting up structures but very often process or procedures just give me a headache. The guy who invented OOP later said that it was a poor name because OOP was not about objets but about message passing. Objects are structure while message passing is process! My OOP code most certainly is about objects and I limit message passing to the absolute minimum. Each object has to know where to find and get that data it needs. Further, each method or procedure has to know where to find and get that data it needs. Similar to GET and PUT I use "input" arrays where most of the data resides as a central repository. This is trading process for structure and eliminates message passing.

If the above is gibberish, don't worry about it. The computer gets it and that's what counts. 😇

The Captain
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.