Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 17
Talk about "V" shaped! After a 22% three day bounce The Captain's ARK is in the black again YTD. If you are going to ride the ARK you better be prepared for crazy volatility. Don't be scared of volatility, think of it as a fun ride on the Market's RollerCoaster. Get over the "Do Something!" syndrome. I haven't touched my port, except for covered calls, since February 22.

Construction Update

The ARK is my first OOP website for multiple users requiring user registration and validation. With OOP, once you get the architecture right the processes fall easily into place with no spaghetti code. When processes are complicated I know I'm on the wrong track. I believe I finally got it.

Think of a website as if it were a multistoried building with some pages or floors open to all visitors and others requiring user ID and password. You don't want each floor to worry about security, leave that to the security detail. The building then has three types of functions or services:

1. The Lobby, general information and directory
2. Security to screen visitors as needed
3. The various tenants

The secret of the good architecture is that each service and tenant has access to the user information (input) it requires without depending on any other service or tenant. For example, the ARK's default is "ID Required" which each page can turn off and it's the only interaction it has with security, yes, or no. Unlike many or most websites, the ARK can register and validate users at any page where it is needed.

I've updated the website so you get a feel for how it will work.

https://captainccs.com/

Enjoy!

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
I've updated the website so you get a feel for how it will work.

Very nice look, Denny. There is much to commend simplicity and you've struck a good balance between design refinement and information presentation.

(I must admit that I do like spaghetti, but not in code, or even when it takes monstrous aeronautical form.)

Pete
No. of Recommendations: 18
Very nice look, Denny. There is much to commend simplicity and you've struck a good balance between design refinement and information presentation.

Thanks! While I admire great design I'm not a designer by any means so I must resort to minimalism which I happen to like.

Update:

The ARK Invest list of holdings is partly done and can be viewed at https://captainccs.com/ark.php

Warning: Work in progress. Some of the percentages are KNOWN wrong! [BUG]

Coming features:

Will add a .csv download button so you can import to your favorite spreadsheet.

Instead of a separate Blacklist page, logged in users will be able to create their private blacklists by clicking on buttons in the ARK list.

Denny Schlesinger
No. of Recommendations: 0
On an Android, press the <take me to> button and hold finger on the screen, pull down slightly into the drop down field.
This will cause the drop down to "stay", so you can choose the desired option. It's sorta like "hover the mouse".

😷 👍🙂
ralph

Here's the message I started with:
I'm on an Android, galaxy S10.
When I click the <take me to> button, a drop down appears for a second or less. Then rolls back up to <take me to>.

If I click the button, then immediately just jab at the drop down, I will be taken to whatever I managed to hit.

I assume the drop down is on a "timer" of some sort?

I just tried it with my laptop and mouse.
When I hover over the <take me to> button the drop down appears, and as long as the mouse is over the drop down, I can choose whatever.

On the phone, I can't "hover".

FWIW
😷
ralph
On an Android, press the <take me to> button and hold finger on the screen, pull down slightly into the drop down field.
This will cause the drop down to "stay", so you can choose the desired option. It's sorta like "hover the mouse".

I changed the CCS a bit and it should work better now but I don't know how to refresh Chrome on the smartphone -- I'm smartphone challenged! :(

Denny Schlesinger
No. of Recommendations: 1
A minimalist approach is my favourite.
Nice looking design Captain! I have been trying the links and all look good. looking forward to see and try the finished product. 😍

And yes the recovery has been pleasantly fast and furious. I boarded the ARK a month or so after you and bought everythingat a higher price and even i am in the black too. Not by much but still.

And our port has been recovering a lot faster than our previous holdings. I know, i have numbers for The Captain's ARK. Saul's port and mine which is a mix of both portfolios plus snd minus some other players, all plugged into YAHOO FINANCE for comparison reasons and i like our rate of recovery much better. 😊

Bella
I boarded the ARK a month or so after you and bought everythingat a higher price and even i am in the black too.

Hi Bella,
I was just looking at the Captain's Ark. Really nice and the ability to sort each column really helps. So can I ask, when you decided to buy some of these stocks, which column did you sort by and choose? 6m, 3m, 2m, 1m?

Just askin'. I guess I would take any cash I wanted to use, and buy the 6-8 stocks that sorted at the top, depending on which column I clicked on to sort.

Sincerely,
MoneySlob
Hello MoneySlob,

When i converted my portfolio, The Captain's ARK website did not exist. I basically followed captain's portfolio, and captain's portfolio was based on 6 months performance.

Captain had his portfolio inauguration in this post

https://boards.fool.com/beating-cathie-wood-day-1-34727349.a...

So i followed through and bought all except ENPH and ROKU. For digital advertising player i decided to stay with my TTD and MGNI and for Solar i stayed with SPWR only.

Later on both Captain and i dropped PSNL and i bought SI and i believe Captain bought XONE.

Again in another portfolio i dropped FSLY and MJ and bought VUZI and XONE and a tiny percentage of MVIS just so i can keep an eye on.it.

My portfolio is overextended for sure but this way i benefit from.best of SAAS and best of ARK.

Hope my answer was not too confusing,

Bella
No. of Recommendations: 9
Hi Bella,
I was just looking at the Captain's Ark. Really nice and the ability to sort each column really helps. So can I ask, when you decided to buy some of these stocks, which column did you sort by and choose? 6m, 3m, 2m, 1m?

Bella already answered but let me add a bit of background. A long time ago I studied the methods used by traders and found trading too complicated but one thing stuck with me. One of their favorite tools is the six month daily price chart, it has enough data to show trends but not data too old for trading. The Japanese candlestick charts were developed to trade rice. It should not come as a surprise that they think of it as a war between buyers and sellers. While value investors buy based on perceived or expected intrinsic value, the day to day price is determined by supply and demand. The above is my very unscientific reason for picking the six month column but there were two additional inputs, private black and white lists:

White list: There were some stocks not on ARK's list that I liked and which performed as well or better than ARK's top picks. This gave rise to the idea of a Whitelist to include non ARK stocks. In the link Bella supplied you'll find three stocks marked "<-- Denny"

Blacklist: There are some sectors that I just don't like (Bitcoin?) and companies that I don't want to own. These go on the Blacklist.

Each user can create his/her/its own private black and white lists.

The Captain's ARK is still very much work in progress and I'm not referring to the website. While the initial pick mid February worked out quite well, the March downdraft was an important lesson about the volatility of the portfolio. In a way it was great timing, giving us an early warning about the ARK's handling in choppy weather.

The other thing on the back of my mind are ARK's opportunistic trading practices. Something along those lines might be a better fit for creating income than covered calls and it would simplify portfolio management. Years ago I experimented with opportunistic trading (buy low, sell high based solely on price movements) and it worked out quite well. With high volatility ARK stocks it might work even better.

Other nice bits and pieces coming your way...

Denny Schlesinger
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi there,

I've been a longtime lurker here, trying to learn. I'm very impressed with the website and I love the concept behind what you've been doing... work smart, not hard.

I am a newer investor and have been accumulating knowledge best I can around here. What does one need to do to access the new Captains Ark website? How can I see which holdings you are currently supporting, and possibly suggest some of my own?

And Bella mentioned it above, but is there a link to the ports used by Saul and you all here? That's another of my favorite forums, but sometimes it feels like there is all too much to take in.

Sorry if this information is supplied elsewhere, I may have missed it. Thank you again for all you contribute here.
No. of Recommendations: 6
is there a link to the ports used by Saul and you all here?

There is this summary of the posted monthly portfolios from Saul's board

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15WYEG7cX2mdErck42Im4...
Hello,

The Captain's ARK holdings are all shown in the link provided.

Tamhas provided the link to Saul's portfolio update

Mine are a mixed bag of ARK, Saul, MOON and some of the old favourites on Saul's board plus MGNI.

Captain and some of the other contributors on this board are experienced investors and they are considered brains of the operation as per se 😊 i have only been in the market for 3 years so still got a lot to learn.

Bella
Thank you Bella, Captain, and Tamhas!

MoneySlob
What does one need to do to access the new Captains Ark website?

The website is still a work in progress and only two public pages are accessible for now.

https://captainccs.com

I'm updating the ARK Positions over the weekend so the data is up-to-date for the previous Friday.

Denny Schlesinger
I'm updating the ARK Positions over the weekend so the data is up-to-date for the previous Friday.

So. . . should I wait until then?

I have been Whack-A-Moling cash for several weeks. I figure I will buy the top 6 stocks on the Captain's Ark by clicking on the 6mn column to sort.
I know, really a sloppy mercenary way of investing but I want to prove you right in the most guinea pig sort of ways.
Maybe I'll go with your current data because it will reflect a little more pre dip conviction.
I think.

The wide brush strokes of a money slob.
Capt., the first page won’t let me go to the next. I must be banned or you’re working on it this morning or afternoon where you live.

In the kennel 🐕
Capt., the first page won’t let me go to the next. I must be banned or you’re working on it this morning or afternoon where you live.

I don't understand "the first page won’t let me go to the next." There are five pages that you can access with the "Take me to..." pop down menu. Whitelist, Blacklist, and My Account are not yet operational.

I work on the code mostly on my laptop and I transfer it to the server after it is fairly well tested, I don't want people seeing error messages.

Denny Schlesinger
So I pulled the trigger on the top 4 Captains ARK sorted by 6mn

SI
NNDM
DDD
VUZI

what me worry? LOL

MoneySlob
SI is a gold mine. Love it and you wont regret owning it.

My Long option on NNDM looks healthy

and i just made a nice little killing on VUZI options. buying it @ $.67 and $.20 and selling today $1.5 each contract

My other two runners Xone and MVIS are still running. I bet XONE i can close sometime today but MVIS needs some uplifting vibes.

Bella
Disclaimer:

I made the comment AFTER you purchased those stocks MoneySlobe, don't hate me. 😬

Our stocks are truly option traders gold mine.
I bought a whole lots of naked calls for EVGN, NNDM and DDD due APR 16 during sell off. They will be ITM way before that.

Is that what Cathy means by opportunist trading?

My portfolio is down %6.79 today, compared to Saul's %6.25 and ARK's %7.69.
This Bond mess better clear soon!

Bella
I don't understand "the first page won’t let me go to the next." There are five pages that you can access with the "Take me to..." pop down menu. Whitelist, Blacklist, and My Account are not yet operational.

I kept trying “click” (touch) that button on my iPad and nothing ever happened, I didn’t know the site was active. But now I try to hold the button down with my finger for about 2 seconds, the 5 choices appear, along with the usual “Copy, Lookup, Share” choices that the iPad will offer when touching the screen for a few seconds.

The site gives a choice to log in but not a choice to create an account, is it by private request?
BTW, the “See more” and “See Less” buttons work normally on the front page, it is just the “Take me too” that don’t do anything if you just touch it without holding your finger down for about 2 seconds.
On my phone "take me too" takes me to whatever page i want to go to without having to hold the button down.or anything

Could it be your tablet?
My iPhone behaves the same way. Are you on Apple or Android?
So I just tried it on the computer and I think I know why this is. On a laptop, you just have to hover the mouse over the button and the list appears without clicking the button. But there is no way to hover your finger over the button to make the menu appear. But since I have an iPad Pro with the “magic keyboard” I tried to use the mouse pad over the button and it works just like a PC. I just seldom use the mouse function on the iPad so I didn’t think of trying that.

But touching the button on my ipad or phone doesn’t work unless I leave my finger on the “button” for about 2 seconds.

Just feedback but not an issue now that I know how it works
With my iPhone it won't work in Safari but works fine in Chrome.
And to answer your question too i am on Android.
On laptop i was ok too and i have not tried logging in from a tablet. 😊
No. of Recommendations: 6
Just feedback but not an issue now that I know how it works

The feedback is most welcome but the "responsive" design for the various devices will have to wait until I get the thing working on laptops.

About the login pages, they are not yet working. Since it's taking me so long I figured I might display the ARK data but the other pages are just fillers until I get the code working.

Try it now: https://captainccs.com/login.php?action=register ;)

Denny Schlesinger
I was feeling so smart yesterday. Selling VUZI @ 1.5

Not so.much today tho. My MVIS and QONE expired worthless and VUZI was selling @ 4.5 today.

Timing the market doesnt work, well maybe it does not for me tho 😒

In other news changes in 3 portfolios i keep track on

Mine +%3.14
Cptain's +%3.71
Saul +%1.89

Bella
Well, VUZI was up 20%,SI was up 9.7%,NNDM was up 0.69%, and DDD was down -3.65%.
A good day for the 4 stocks I bought from sorting the Captains ARK.

Two other non-Saul stocks came in highest over all after the above 2:
MGNI 7.15%
and
ENPH 4.36%

Still way down about 25% from YTD highs, but it looks like Captains ARK is a good idea.

Time will tell.

MoneySlob
Denny changed the CCS a bit and it should work better now

After Denny did the above, my Android now is tap the <take me to> button, the pop up opens and stays there until I tap something else.
Ie. It works for me.

🙏😷👍
ralph
Timing the market doesnt work, well maybe it does not for me tho 😒

Oh, When will you ever learn?
Oh, When will you ever learn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgXNVA9ngx8

The Captain
When will i ever learn? For real too!!!!

I got super confident in my skill. Usually picking up calls with longer expiry dates but this time i got greedy and over confident So, market charged me its tuition 😳

When will i ever learn?
This has to be the time. I gambled, no.more gamnling for me, i promise.
This shall pass.
You are young.

MoneySlob
The Old Buzzard That Buys Before The Dips