Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
The change is that I file jointly with my wife, but I understated her SEP contribution for that year. (I put in too low a number.) So AGI (and lots of other stuff, I suppose) will change.

One odd thing is that DW is self-employed and I fill out a Schedule C for her, but the SEP amount comes off the 1040, and seems to have no impact on Schedule C, and self-employment tax.

An added complication that I didn't mention last time is that the numbers on the original return were changed by the IRS one time.

Use the IRS adjusted figures as the "previous" figures. Since you can explain the change in AGI as a change in the SEP contribution, I don't think you need any supporting forms.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.