Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone gotten one or know someone who has?
Print the post Back To Top
Anyone gotten one or know someone who has?

Not me. The IRS knows one of my bank accounts and Social Security knows the other. None have had unexpected deposits.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I thought I read that checks should start on April 9.
<I thought I read that checks should start on April 9.>

One has to be very careful with the terminology they use.

Those with direct deposit will see the monies first. Last I heard (last Friday) is that the funds should start being deposited in two weeks, which would be around the 17th. I have not heard any updates since, but there could be.

When I heard that announcement, they also said those who will be receiving the monies in check form will be waiting 4-6 additional weeks for them.

The difference is that delivering them electronically is significantly simpler for them to do.

I suspect that there will be a good number of people who do not get their checks due to moving or having them get lost or stolen somewhere along the way. Those who had direct deposit, but changed accounts since their last tax filing will probably end up waiting even longer for payment as their situation will surely need human intervention and documentation.

BG
IRS intends on setting up website where you can input your bank info (if not on prior return) to enable them to direct deposit rebates. It isn’t up yet as far as I can see.

Keep a look out.

Mike
BG, Very true. I have heard on multiple news conferences that there will be a form to fill out with the IRS to update your bank info. Heard 2 weeks ago that it would be next week. Now into the second week and nothing yet. I am checking the IRS website News releases every 2 days. Will post here if I see any updates.
do they have my banking info?

I keep hearing/reading if your banking info is "on your return"... they have your info & you'll get early/faster electronic deposit. My returns haven't for a 4-5 years had this info "on my return". But I do pay ES through EFTPS. My payments through EFTPS (from my bank) are tied to my SSN, as is obviously my 1040. They deducted Q4 2019 on 15 Jan 2020.

So they should have my info, right? <- rhetorical. But its the guv'mt too, I don't see this going all that smoothly. I'll see in a couple weeks if the 2 matched up for an electronic deposit.
do they have my banking info?

I keep hearing/reading if your banking info is "on your return"... they have your info & you'll get early/faster electronic deposit. My returns haven't for a 4-5 years had this info "on my return". But I do pay ES through EFTPS. My payments through EFTPS (from my bank) are tied to my SSN, as is obviously my 1040. They deducted Q4 2019 on 15 Jan 2020.

So they should have my info, right? <- rhetorical. But its the guv'mt too, I don't see this going all that smoothly. I'll see in a couple weeks if the 2 matched up for an electronic deposit.

I don't think so. The language in the law (CARES Act, Section 2201) states that the IRS will use the account which was indicated to receive a refund in 2018 or 2019 or which receives SS monthly benefits. Language in other IRS "publications" (that is, website pages, FAQs, etc,, not a formal IRS Publication) expands that to accounts included on tax returns to fund payments of tax liability. Nowhere do I see any reference to EFTPS or payments entered via IRS direct pay. While that information "could" be used, Congress' intent was to make the process as quick as possible, not as complete as possible.

I would use the tool the IRS is developing for taxpayers to enter their account info when (if?) it is released.

Ira
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks Ira. A cursory skim look/thru 2201 here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/748/...

but didn't see a mention of SS monthly benefits. I'm probably taking this way out of context (too many wherefore's, whereas, forthwith's, sub-sections, etc.), but is it saying people who are receiving Social Security benefits that are direct deposited will (maybe) get electronic deposit of rebate as well?:

<snip> “(B) DELIVERY OF PAYMENTS.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary may certify and disburse refunds payable under this subsection electronically to any account to which the payee authorized, on or after January 1, 2018, the delivery of a refund of taxes under this title or of a Federal payment (as defined in section 3332 of title 31, United States Code).<snip>

Not overly concerned but it holds up my 2019 Fed filing as it is more advantageous for me using 2018 income figures. And that Fed filing is holding up a small Fed refund & a significant state tax refund from an out of state home sale re IRC 121 (2 of 5 residency). Oh, well!

Otherwise, I'll keep my eye out for that phantom website to popup! Thanks again.
Replying to myself... poked around the IRS site and found this:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-info...

Under "Who Is Eligible" drop down, last paragraph.

<snip>
Retirees who receive either Social Security retirement or Railroad Retirement benefits will also receive payments automatically.<snip>
Replying to myself... poked around the IRS site and found this:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-info......

Under "Who Is Eligible" drop down, last paragraph.

<snip>
Retirees who receive either Social Security retirement or Railroad Retirement benefits will also receive payments automatically.<snip>

That was the IRS "publication" I was referring to. Non-authoritative, but probably correct.

Ira
IRS intends on setting up website where you can input your bank info (if not on prior return) to enable them to direct deposit rebates. It isn’t up yet as far as I can see.

Keep a look out.

It's available now. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-inf...

Here's the information you will need:

- Full name, current mailing address and an email address
- Date of birth and valid Social Security number
- Bank account number, type and routing number, if you have one
- Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) you received from the IRS earlier this year, if you have one
- Driver’s license or state-issued ID, if you have one
- For each qualifying child: name, Social Security number or Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number and their relationship to you or your spouse

AJ
It's available now.

It's partly available.

The page you linked to is for people who were not required to file a return in 2018 and 2019. That's a place to enter the relevant information as you noted so that people can receive a check or direct deposit.

People who have filed a 2018 or 2019 return and want to provide direct deposit or other updated information will use a different page - one that does not yet exist.

In either case, you can start here and pick the appropriate side of the page for your situation:
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

--Peter