No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20121009/NEWS01/121009012...

A local teen's horseback riding lesson ended abruptly after she was hit in the head by a foot-long hunk of raw chicken that fell out of a cloudless sky. Bernard, who was not injured, was wearing a riding helmet when the chicken hit her — protecting a rider from unidentified flying chicken parts is not the helmet's normal function, but it did the trick.

Cording called an early end to the lesson after the bizarre incident, which was followed within the next half hour by one of her steadiest horses "that never acts up" running away with a rider and another horse crashing through a jump.

The only possible explanations are that the chicken was dropped by a seagull or a UFO. I know which one I prefer.

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
As soon as I saw the url, I knew it was the one about Assawoman, VA. Assawoman Bay used to be a nice place, but it's all built up now. It's between Ocean City, MD and Fenwick Island, DE.

arrete
"A local teen's horseback riding lesson ended abruptly after she was hit in the head by a foot-long hunk of raw chicken that fell out of a cloudless sky. Bernard, who was not injured, was wearing a riding helmet when the chicken hit her — protecting a rider from unidentified flying chicken parts is not the helmet's normal function, but it did the trick."

----------

"I swear to God I thought chunks of chicken could fly!"

Artie
I'm sure it was a NDE, separation from vulture of feast, now he has to look again for food., it's all about separation.

I'm glad the girl didn't fall off the horse.

Talking about getting hit in the head, my neighbor's oak tree have been dumping tons of acorns.....whack! It's a hazard and they sure are noisy hitting roofs, sidewalks, and cars....thankfully, not my cars. :)

LD
No. of Recommendations: 1
Talking about getting hit in the head, my neighbor's oak tree have been dumping tons of acorns.....whack! It's a hazard and they sure are noisy hitting roofs, sidewalks, and cars....thankfully, not my cars. :)

LD

--------------------

I have a big oak tree shading barn 1.0. I hear acorns hitting the metal roof all time and bouncing or rolling down. And talk about a hazard, try walking on them, barefooted, when you go outside to pee. Painful... almost enough to make me want to use the regular commode, but then you have to aim.... It's* a conundrum.

*This contraction CC certified for your reading pleasure.
I have a big oak tree shading barn 1.0. I hear acorns hitting the metal roof all time and bouncing or rolling down. And talk about a hazard, try walking on them, barefooted, when you go outside to pee. Painful... almost enough to make me want to use the regular commode, but then you have to aim.... It's* a conundrum.

*This contraction CC certified for your reading pleasure.
bhm

>>>>>>>>>

may all your acorns roll off your back...oh wait, you have a hairy back, they might bury themselves in there and start growing and then you'll be the bighairymikewhohasanoaktreeonhisback and the longest name ever!
No. of Recommendations: 2
http://reason.com/archives/2012/10/17/its-raining-cats-and-d...

Meanwhile, the authorities have arrived at some preliminary conclusions. Drawing on years of expertise – backed by two centuries of scientific progress and the collective wisdom of a regulatory agency with a $150-million budget – the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality's Milton Johnston feels confident in declaring: "We can't have pieces of chicken falling out of the sky."

So what are our elected officials doing about falling chicken parts and other WRMDs (Weapons of Rapid Mammallian Descent)? Apparently nothing. The website of the Virginia Department of Emergency Management contains no advice on how to prepare for such eventualities. The federal Department of Homeland Security has nothing, either. Gov. Bob McDonnell has not assembled a task force, and apparently will not. In fact, McDonnell spokesman J. Tucker Martin laughs the whole thing off: "We're looking into every animal issue facing the Commonwealth,” he says, “including unverified reports of a rollerblading alpaca in the greater Lynchburg area." Very funny, sir.

This insouciance seems ill-advised, when you reflect that Virginia's Eastern Shore, where the chicken attack took place, is home to the Wallops Island Spaceport – a crucial piece of the nation's transportation infrastructure.

I blame Republicans -- for making cuts in the Falling Animal Defense Program.

--fleg
So what are our elected officials doing about falling chicken parts and other WRMDs (Weapons of Rapid Mammallian Descent)? Apparently nothing. The website of the Virginia Department of Emergency Management contains no advice on how to prepare for such eventualities. The federal Department of Homeland Security has nothing, either. Gov. Bob McDonnell has not assembled a task force, and apparently will not.

-------------

Lazy, uncaring politiians. At least they could propose a small tax on chicken sales to fund a blue ribbon committee to study the issue, hire some experts and consultants to write a report recommending further study.

And wouldn't it be "Weapons of Rapid Avian Descent"?
At least they could propose a small tax on chicken sales to fund a blue ribbon committee to study the issue

Maybe even a cordon blue ribbon committee.

--fleg