Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 12
The concern involves the question of are we enabling him, or supporting him? It can be a fine line, (and one I am not looking to discuss here.) - inparadise

I don't see it as a fine line. When the recipient through no fault of their own is struggling but really trying to fulfill their potential, then whatever support you provide is just being a loving caring nurturing parent. Enabling, in my mind anyway, involves facilitating a negative situation brought on through fault of their own.

In the case of my son, he is very intelligent, but not highly motivated as far as working is concerned. When he was in high school, he had the usual string of unskilled jobs and was far from a reliable, eager employee. He went through a lot of different jobs with long spans of not working at all. Basically he was a low performing marginal employee.

After he got his BS degree, he worked for year and then decided he wanted to go to law school. Five years later he graduates and passes the bar and starts a good career with a law firm in Florida. I was proud of my son the lawyer and his career was going well. He did have to work long hours but was well paid for it. He complained that he just did not have enough free time to do the things he really enjoyed which primarily was going to live music concerts, lots of them, I am talking hundreds going back to include his HS days. After about three years, he just up and quit his attorney job, and started living in an RV and just traveled around the country camping and going to rock concerts and music festivals.

I worked steadily for 45 years and always had to balance my career with fitting my vacations in as best I could around the priorities of the job. And my daughter and her husband are both working very hard and being responsible adults raising two kids and have a lot to show for it.

My son on the other hand just wants to coast through life, with little or no responsibility, still acting like a perpetual college student but without any classes to interfere with partying. He could and did hold down a good job and simply decided not to work. It is that lack of a work ethic that I don't feel good about enabling.

Anyway, providing support is being a responsible parent, enabling a lazy persons desire to bum around is something quite different.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.