Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The contributions to Roth 401k can be converted to a Roth IRA.
The employer contribution (aka match) is traditional (non-Roth) 401k, and can be converted to IRA.
The IRA can be converted to Roth - *BUT* unlike the "backdoor Roth" method you pay taxes on the amount converted to Roth. (The backdoor Roth method you pay the taxes before the money goes in the IRA; With this conversion, you pay the taxes as it goes from IRA to Roth-IRA)

And yet the end result is the very same, so really you are just getting caught up in the unofficial naming of the process. IMO it's the concept that matters, particularly if the OP's daughter was not aware of the choice.

wondering if everyone will start correcting my spelling too
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.