No. of Recommendations: 1
Interesting that this topic hasn't been talked about on here. Anyone have any thoughts about it?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Anyone have any thoughts about it?

My thought, "These MD residents are much more terrified by this lone shooter than either ObL or Saddam."

FWIW.

Peter

Anyone have any thoughts about it?

My thought, "These MD residents are much more terrified by this lone shooter than either ObL or Saddam."

FWIW.

Peter
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's worth the paper it's written on.
Interesting that this topic hasn't been talked about on here. Anyone have any thoughts about it?

I don't have any revelations, but as someone who lives in the area and works a block from Dubya's place, I've been talking to a lot of friends and relatives about this. I'm saying essentially the same thing to everyone which is that people around here are, first and foremost, nervous.

DC sees it's share of violence, but for a few reasons this is altogether different. The randomness of the murders is a bit scary, as there appears to be no connection among the victims save geographical proximity.

Also, the way in which these people were killed is making folks nervous. Every one of the victims was shot with a high-powered hunting rifle. I heard a couple of authorities quoted on local radio and tv as saying the shooter(s) were highly accurate, almost like trained snipers.

Finally, the police have virtually nothing to go on. There appear to be very few clues. I know it's early, but at this early stage I think part of the nervousness is due to the lack of leads.

I heard a guy call into a radio show last night to relay his personal experience. Yesterday he was moving into Montgomery County, Maryland and was driving (you guessed it) a white truck. The cops pulled him and questioned him. The guy said he understood what they were doing and why, but it was still a bit nerve-wracking since after they pulled him over they approached the cab of his truck with their guns drawn. Again, he knew what was up, but he was still nervous. After they let him go they slapped some sort of sticker on his truck so that he wouldn't get pulled over again. Apparently everyone driving a white truck got pulled over.

So, that's it. No revelations. But this is one of those times when you're a bit more careful, a bit more watchful, and you hug your kids just a little tighter at the end of the day.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ok, I am no expert in stuff like this, but everything about says to me, domestic terrorism. This just isn't middle east - islamic-arab-whatever style. Suicide bombings and such things are more what they go for. I suppose it could be them but they haven't changed there style in over 30 years - why now?

American's are more interested in getting away with their crimes. Example, Oklahoma City. The truck was parked and didn't explode until the bombers were safe. If this had been middle eastern they would have just driven the truck straight into the building.

This was a trial run. I think it will be done again in a few weeks. Maybe D.C. but more likely a different eastern seaboard city. Baltimore or Philidelphia maybe.

I think someone is practicing for an assasination of some kind.
No. of Recommendations: 4
It's worth the paper it's written on.

Crossing you off my list of people worth conversing with.

PR

Watching CNBC last night reporting on the story, they touched ever SO lightly that it may be race related. I tend to agree.
I believe they said those attack were either Black or Hispanic.

<<<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41038-2002Oct3.html>>>
I will take that as a compliment.
I keep thinking it's gang related. I think someone suggested that on another board...maybe an initiation of some kind. Although it seems odd that gang members would be that well trained. I do pray that whoever it is gets caught very soon.

e
ramsfanray:
=============================================
I hope the shooter is a moron, because it will be tough to catch a smart sniper.

Regards,
Gerald
I keep thinking it's gang related. I think someone suggested that on another board...maybe an initiation of some kind. Although it seems odd that gang members would be that well trained.

I never heard of gangs using anything other than relative close-range guns such as pistols, shotguns, SMGs.
Has anyone heard gangs doing sniping?
American's are more interested in getting away with their crimes. Example, Oklahoma City. The truck was parked and didn't explode until the bombers were safe. If this had been middle eastern they would have just driven the truck straight into the building.

This was a trial run. I think it will be done again in a few weeks. Maybe D.C. but more likely a different eastern seaboard city. Baltimore or Philidelphia maybe.

I think someone is practicing for an assasination of some kind.

I'm thinking along the same lines of assasination practice run. Most nut jobs with a any gun or rifle has at least stuck around to do as much killing as possible. This person(s) definitely wanted to get a way to do this again. Either that or to strike fear into residents of MD as a method of terror.

High powered rifle. One shot one kill. Has to be a sniper in practice or a sniper gone loco.
I'm thinking along the same lines of assasination practice run. Most nut jobs with a any gun or rifle has at least stuck around to do as much killing as possible.

I just can't see that. The last thing an assasin wants to do is get everybody on edge. Also this guy did not need practice.

This person(s) definitely wanted to get a way to do this again. Either that or to strike fear into residents of MD as a method of terror.

Agreed.

High powered rifle. One shot one kill. Has to be a sniper in practice or a sniper gone loco.

Definitely an excellent shot with a scope, laser sight etc. He was shooting these poor folks through the heart, probably from quite a distance because none of the observers could say exactly where the shot came from.

Sound loco to me but shrewd about his MO. Bad news.

The "white truck" theory sounds like a red herring. Why would he use a big truck and speed away? Better a small nondescript sedan. Lay the gun down. Drive away slowly.

He won't be taken alive.

Peter
I just can't see that. The last thing an assasin wants to do is get everybody on edge. Also this guy did not need practice.

Sure he does.
Shooting at wooden targets or game is something entirely different from shooting at humans.
Many very skilled shooters will fail to do the latter if they haven`t been specifically trained to do it.
The army and the police use video simulations.
But of course this is better.

-------------------------------

But each time he shoots the chance of getting caught increases.

Not something an assasin wants to risk, no?

Andrea

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why I think this is a trial run. He just killed 5 people and got away clean. He can take what he learned with regards to how the community and police respond to this and it will help him when he goes for his real target. Which he won't do for 6 months or so, which gives everyone that is currently on edge plenty of time to relax and get back to normal.
Andrea:

============================================
Probably not, but an intelligent sniper will have to be very unlucky to get caught.

Regards,
Gerald
Shooting at wooden targets or game is something entirely different from shooting at humans.
Many very skilled shooters will fail to do the latter if they haven`t been specifically trained to do it.

I accept that this is probably true. But when I said, "Also this guy did not need practice," it was based on the observed facts. He goes out in the field, takes five shots (not counting one possible bullet strike earlier), and kills five persons. Maybe he didn't know he was that "good" and thought he needed the practice.

Where do you think he got his skills? Hunter? Military? Special Ops?

If he is an assassin (which I still doubt), then he will strike for real in some other area of the country entirely.

Peter

Not really, no.
But if he does it skilfully, chances of him getting caugt are pretty slim.
He could have shot those people from half a mile away.
Maybe he was using a silencer.
I accept that this is probably true. But when I said, "Also this guy did not need practice," it was based on the observed facts. He goes out in the field, takes five shots (not counting one possible bullet strike earlier), and kills five persons. Maybe he didn't know he was that "good" and thought he needed the practice.

If he is an assassin-wannabe, he has to absolutely certain that he can pull the trigger in the critical moment with no inhibition and hesitation whatsoever.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Watching CNBC last night reporting on the story, they touched ever SO lightly that it may be race related. I tend to agree. I believe they said those attack were either Black or Hispanic.

The cops don't agree with you:-

One was black, one was Hispanic, one was Indian, two were white. Their ages ranged from 25 to 55. One was on foot, another tending to a well-kept vehicle.

How the killer chose his targets is a mystery. All Montgomery County Police Capt. Nancy Demme could say was that the victims "are across the board in gender and ethnic backgrounds."

http://www.sunspot.net/news/custom/guns/bal-te.md.victims04oct04,0,1501876.story?coll=bal%2Dhome%2Dheadlines

How the killer chose his targets is a mystery.

About 25/30 years ago something like this happened in a small town in northeastern PA.

All the victims were random, except the killers wife.
He knew her routine. He took out a couple others to make it look random but his wife was the intended victim.
He apparently believed the randomness of the killings would throw the police off.

It didn't.

The search Friday went on amid a mix of fear and defiance among residents of the economically and culturally diverse slice of the suburban Washington county where most of the shootings occurred.
All over Montgomery County, people did what they usually do on a Friday, but they moved slowly and quietly, glancing at trees, bushes and rooftops. Many said they were afraid but wouldn't stop getting groceries, going to work or leaving their children with a baby sitter.
"I had to shop. I need to eat. I can't stay at home all day," said Kira Leonova, who works at a bookstore near one of the slaying scenes. "I have to work and I have a family."
Dexter Evans, 20, scanned the traffic as he waited for a bus to Rockville, and he took a second look at every white truck. "You can't even walk down the street without looking over your shoulder," he said.
Schools opened with extra police patrols and calls poured into 911 dispatchers.

As I said: "These MD residents are much more terrified by this lone shooter than either ObL or Saddam."

Peter

No. of Recommendations: 3
Watching CNBC last night reporting on the story, they touched ever SO lightly that it may be race related. I tend to agree. I believe they said those attack were either Black or Hispanic.

The cops don't agree with you:-

One was black, one was Hispanic, one was Indian, two were white.

When I heard the report on CNBC they were reporting on the story as it happened. It was still in the early stages and at the time all victims were not reported.

The commentator said at that point of reporting, hinted the killings might be racial motivated, probably based on the facts given him as the story progressed.

I did not see or hear anything indicating otherwise till the link you provided.

Thank you for the up date.