Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
The deal offered to SD is a land contract at 2% interest ,30 year term. It also includes an additional payment that starts at 2000 a month and reduces to 1000 ending in 12 years. The contract makes the additional payment optional. The owner cannot take back the building if it is not paid.

I would have an attorney look over the land contract. Some land contracts don't actually transfer ownership until the debt is actually paid off. So it wouldn't actually be necessary for the owner to 'take back' the building if it's not paid, because they still own it.

Are there any pre-payment penalties if she, for example, decides to sell the building, or refinance it to take cash out for repairs?

That said - a commercial loan at 2% for 30 years is a great deal, IMO. Very few commercial loans have a 30 year term, and most are at higher rates than residential mortgage rates.

Does the extra payment decrease the term of the loan? If not, then I wouldn't bother with the extra payment.

I might mention that the SD has been the defacto property manager for few years now. The other tenants are used to coming to her if there is a problem and she knows how get things taken care of.

Since she's already acting as the property manager, she may as well get paid for it. And since she has already been getting maintenance issues taken care of, she should understand how much she needs to budget for that. Does she know if there's any deferred maintenance that is going to need to be done after she takes over? She should probably have the building inspected to see if there's something that a professional notices that she hasn't.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.