Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 247
The reason I post this is because sometimes I wonder why it is that I, not a native born american, am more outraged about the state of US than a lot of native borns. For I know that there are no unalienable rights, that life doesn't change drastically when certain freedoms are taken away and that US form of democracy might not be the only way to have a free and happy society.

so here I merely offer you my view, as your ex-enemy.

I was born and raised in USSR at end of communism, yet I remember what it was like before the fall, before the cold war ended. I remember that communism was the best way, that any objection to it was wrong. I remember my parents saying "hi officer" into the phone before every phone conversation. I also remember learning that if you hear a click on the other side as you pick up the phone, somebody is listening in. One of my strongest memories is realizing that the book my parents gave me to read was in fact prohibited by the government. The idea that somebody could prohibit you to read something was shocking to me. The government told us that America is the enemy, that they were greedy, and spoiled, and had no moral values. However (and this is what I think most americans don't realize) that is not how your average russian felt. They saw that hard work is rewarded in US. They saw that in their enemies' land you could state your objections to the government publically, not just in the privacy of your own home. They saw that there was no secret police that at any time could arrest you for suspicion of treason. In all my time there, every time there was talk of America, whether it was good or bad, there was always an undercurrent of respect for it. So much did you win the soviet hearts that the last prime minister decided to try and make USSR more like US. That of course is where the economy of USSR failed and the country collapsed. To this day I hear opinions that Gorbachev and his capitalist ideas were the reason why US won the cold war.

That is what I want every American to understand. Less than 20 years ago, your enemy might have been your enemy, but they also respected you (an enemy with nukes may I add). You won, because we saw your way of life as better. You were our dream, a society where freedom was allowed, and any hard working person could get a lot of power and a lot of money.

Nowdays though, I don't hear that hidden respect for US from the foreigners. Mostly I hear them laugh and mention one of the many scandals nowdays when someone else mentions US as the example for freedom and hope.
I honestly think that US has lost the hearts of the world. They are no longer the shiny beacon of hope.

That is sad to me, because that is how you won one war. I would think that with war on terror, winning hearts of the average muslim would be the only way to win.

That is why it is sad for me to see most freedoms you took for granted go the way of the dodo bird. I see you walk away from the greatest treasure this country has ever held, and all just so that you can think that you are a little bit safer.

TVK
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.