Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
If the 1980's was the "decade of greed" I can't imagine what that would make the 1990's. Don't get me wrong; I am as capitalist as they come but when I reflect back on the 1990's, in all candor I come to the conclusion that that was the decade where we sold our souls as a nation. It doesn't get anymore selfish then that.

Looking back, I see how we got so caught up in our greed, to such a prodigious extent, that ANYTHING, no matter how immoral it was, we were willing to defend the INDEFENSIBLE, all in the name of THE ECONOMY-STUPID. The small few who were outraged, were treated as if they were the ones who had character flaws. They were treated with disdain for implying that Character counted or had ANY place in our government. All that mattered was our back pockets.

Personally, I believe in divine providence. Many people, even those who don't believe in God, believe that there is some kind of "cosmic justice" or carma or whatever. I see the ramifications of our decisions coming back to us. I believe that this country will reap what we have sown and it will be manifested in our ECONOMY.

Is that a bad thing? Sometimes we NEED a wake up call to get back in line, to put things into perspective. Sometimes we have to fall hard - in order to recover. Sometimes SUFFERING builds great character. Look how far we have fallen as a nation. Try to compare the character of the babyboom generation forward to those who suffered the great depression. There is NO worthy comparison.

Whatever it takes to get the attention of this once great nation, whatever it takes to restore our souls, I think is a good thing.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.