Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
The discussion about whether or not to include metrics such as ROIC and DCF is an important one. When Rule Maker (Cash King) was first conceived it was presented as an investment philosophy that anybody could follow along with. Valuation was given little consideration. The idea was to pick quality companies, check out a few simple to calculate metrics, get a basic understanding of its business and prospects, compare it to its key competitors and make a decision to buy or not.

Unfortunately, investing is not as easy as many of us would like it to be or believed it to be in the not too distant past. I know that the more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn. Like Wolf, I'm studying for the CFA right now. I've also been reading a number of investing books (the latest was Graham's The Intelligent Investor).

It is important that we understand a company's financial statements (an area I hope I helped many to understand better in the past with my columns). It's important that we understand what type of returns a company is able to generate from its investments. It's important that we have an idea of what the value of a business is. We can't simply pull the wool over our eyes and invest blindly. While concepts such as ROIC and DCF can be quite difficult to understand, they can be explained in ways that we can all understand. It just takes time and patience on the part of both the teacher and the student.

ROE is fairly simple to calculate, but the results that it brings are not as valuable as we find with other metrics. Bill pointed out a number of the issues around ROE in his last column. Unfortunately, accounting as first conceived was based on a world with little in the way of intangible or knowledge assets. Criterion such as ROE are less valuable in analyzing today's companies than they were in the past. This doesn't render them meaningless -- it just makes them less meaningful.

Even ROIC is not without its flaws, but it is worth investigating. If you're uncomfortable with DCF and your ability to correctly assign all of the appropriate values to growth rates, discount rates, etc., try the approach outlined in Expectations Investing of making an assessment of what rate of growth is implied in a stock's current price.

Understanding how the cash flows through a business is important. Performing these types of calculations will better enable you to understand the value of a business. It's also likely to lead to greater success for you as an investor. Investing in individual stocks requires work. It's part of an ongoing learning process.

Okay. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.