No. of Recommendations: 0
The distribution, like I would call Charlie - not quite normal. :)

I guess we should expect more of a bimodal distribution because things change. As you point out prices change for delta on rates (both base rate and spread) and credit quality, so for a bond to remain at par things would have to either remain the same or rates and quality moved with some correlation. I don't see things remaining the same!!

With only 21% above "par" - curious the percentage of those are callable?

As you mention we can't tell the future but sometimes have indicators that bias us one way or another. (right or wrong another post) In some markets/rate conditions - trading book with rising rates or if you believe in mean reverting spreads - perhaps a premium may not be a bad thing. And you are right - it all depends on the problems you want to buy and the risk reward.

I also think it would have been total insanity to have built the portfolio any other way....A proper balance between risk and reward has to be achieved

Agree

So a judicious amount of each has to be bought.

Disagree

The two at times may be mutually exclusive! Clearly, understand I am not saying never pay a premium - but only pay a premium if you are ok with buying the problems that come with that end of the price spectrum at that time!! Just as I am not saying don't ever buy at a discount.- on the point of someone imposing a "never buy at a premium" for you and me - we agree. If it works for them GREAT! Does it work in all cases (for all other investors). No!

But just like some one should not say for all investors "Never Buy at a Premium" We should not say all portfolios/investors must buy "both premium and discount" That may under certain circumstances negate a proper balance between risk and reward some investors seek!

d(not normal)/dT
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.