No. of Recommendations: 1
The easiest way to skim from a large account would be to either inflate billable hours or inflate hourly fee. Do lots of "Review File" entries and review that file extensively. Daily.

If the people in question do not know or understand the extent of their assets or the natural objects of their affection, then they're probably ripe for a guardianship of their property. Note that sheer stupidity or poor investment decisions or a tendency to spend lots of money on in ways that you don't agree with is not necessarily incompetence. That said, if they're truly incompetent, they might need a conservatorship -- terms and applications vary widely between the states and you really do need to talk to an attorney in your jurisdiction. A power of attorney might suffice in some cases -- full conservatorship might be necessary in other situations. You CAN ask questions of the attorney and accountant IF you've got some sort of authorization from the person in question. IF. Otherwise, attorney/client privilege prevents them from answering much of anything.

Other than that sort of action, you've really got no right to poke around in their affairs.

See an estate/probate specialist in your jurisdiction.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.