No. of Recommendations: 7
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/stop-blami...
Millennials Didn’t Kill the Economy. The Economy Killed Millennials.
The American system has thrown them into debt, depressed their wages, kept them from buying homes—and then blamed them for everything.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 11
Of course we heard the same thing about Boomers. The Greediest Generation voted themselves everything, cushied themselves up real nice real 70 years. Brought on double digit inflation; Talked about responsibility but did nothing but run up public debt on their behalf, then started down the road of "conservatism" and tax cuts and small government for every possible cause but their own. And for the past 20 years their cry is "We simply can't afford it" unless it's for them and immediate their legacy, the first wave boomers. Everybody else has been sharing a smaller and smaller pie with fewer sporks to go around with "Enjoy the Banquet! We Loved Ours!" printed on the napkin.

WWII, indeed! Old People started a war and proudly said, while waving the flag: "We ain't gonna fight it!" So, The Greediest Generation got drafted and played that violin for 70+ years. And remember Vietnam was written, produced, and directed by the WWII crowd. All those privates and lieutenants in 1945 were colonels and generals in 1965.

Never has there been a crowd who felt more entitled to credit while avoiding or disowning responsibility.
No. of Recommendations: 1
WWII, indeed! Old People started a war and proudly said, while waving the flag: "We ain't gonna fight it!" So, The Greediest Generation got drafted and played that violin for 70+ years. And remember Vietnam was written, produced, and directed by the WWII crowd. All those privates and lieutenants in 1945 were colonels and generals in 1965.

Never has there been a crowd who felt more entitled to credit while avoiding or disowning responsibility.

Hard to tell where the Boomers come in here. They weren't privates or lieutenants in 1945. They were born after that war. And during the Vietnam War, they were (conveniently) of draftable age, and many were in fact drafted. And while some of them burned their draft card and/or went to Canada, for the most part the Anti-War Movement was generally popular among all groups of Americans, and was not the property of Boomers.

culcha
"WWII, indeed! Old People started a war and proudly said, while waving the flag: "We ain't gonna fight it!" So, The Greediest Generation got drafted and played that violin for 70+ years. And remember Vietnam was written, produced, and directed by the WWII crowd. All those privates and lieutenants in 1945 were colonels and generals in 1965. "

It was only ONE MAN that got us into the Vietnam War and that was LBJ. He started out small, but doubled down each time the losses mounted. He sent more and more troops, but micro managed things so we couldn't bomb strategic targets and never went after their air force bases. We got shot to pieces, while LBJ didn't want to 'lose' a war for the first time in history and wouldn't back down.

Sorry, most boomers quickly saw through the charade.....but many went when they were drafted.

Many boomers were in college. I was born in June 1946...and graduated from college in 1968 right at the height of the war. If you flunked out of college, Uncle Sam would quickly invite you to a 2 year free tour of southeast Asia. When I got out, managed a 'job deferment' for a year...then was classified 1A.....and we had the draft lottery........which solved my problem as I got #356.

Fortunately, a Republican got into office and ended the war. A War which LBJ had no intention of every 'winning'.

55,000 Americans were slaughtered there for no real reason. Half a million injured in a war which LBJ micromanaged. The other idiot who micromanaged his generals was Hitler and you know how that turned out.

It wasn't generals that started or lost the war. It was just one man - LBJ.

t.
culcha:" They weren't privates or lieutenants in 1945. They were born after that war. And during the Vietnam War, they were (conveniently) of draftable age, and many were in fact drafted. And while some of them burned their draft card and/or went to Canada, for the most part the Anti-War Movement was generally popular among all groups of Americans, and was not the property of Boomers."

Most of the WW2 types were long gone from the service by the time of Vietnam. The military was immediately downsized after WW2. Went back up for the Korean War, then immediately downsized after.

Many people turned against the Vietnam War when it became obvious that LBJ wouldn't go after the real targets and it was something that was never going to end, or could end the way we were fighting the war. Also, many people realized that the south Vietnamese could care less how the war turned out and were not behind it. they had been ruled by half a dozen other powers before. Self rule was not something they were familiar with.

You don't go to war with one hand tied behind your back, and that is what LBJ did every day of the war. All the strategic targets 'off limits'......

t.
No. of Recommendations: 9
"Hard to tell where the Boomers come in here. They weren't privates or lieutenants in 1945. They were born after that war. And during the Vietnam War, they were (conveniently) of draftable age, and many were in fact drafted. And while some of them burned their draft card and/or went to Canada, for the most part the Anti-War Movement was generally popular among all groups of Americans, and was not the property of Boomers.

culcha "

I am eternally grateful for the anti-war protestors of the 1960's and early 1970's. I'm not anti
military, especially in regards to the boots on the ground soldiers, if our country sends them into harms way then they deserve our full support, not like what the Vietnam era soldiers dealt with.
But I am almost willing to bet that if the anti-war protestors hadn't raised hell, we would have been involved in that quagmire for many more years than we were, and they would have come calling for me just like they got my oldest brother. There would probably be no American wars if the people in charge had to put themselves or their family members in harms way ( all due respect to people like McCain, who could have evaded service but did not ).
No. of Recommendations: 0
"There would probably be no American wars if the people in charge had to put themselves or their family members in harms way ( all due respect to people like McCain, who could have evaded service but did not ). "

I doubt it....England, during the Falklands War...which they didn't start but sure ended.....had one of the ROyals involved....think he was flying a fighter plane.....

It's not like Obama is going to send one of his young daughters under age 12 off to the Middle East, right? Or Hillary Clinton - landing under 'sniper fire' ho ho ho...in Bosnia......

How many Presidents had male offspring of fighting age?

Then again, a lot of US Presidents were in wars. Lincoln - up to his ears - George Washington - Teddy Roosevelt.....Grant...... Tyler.....Bush.......Eisenhower.......Jackson.....first hand...... and some had to deal with wars that others started like the War of 1812.......Spanish American War...Korean War.....

t.
Joseph P Kennedy opposed US entry into WWII as the US envoy to Britain, earning FDRs ire.

Still his son Joe Kennedy was killed in WWII. John F served and was injured in the war despite opposing his father by writing "While England Slept" explaining why Hitler got to run on so long.

Teddy Roosevelt resigned as Secretary of the Navy to serve in the Spanish American War. Several of his sons served in WWI and WWII, and couple killed, I believe.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 0
Most field grade officers who served in Vietnam, especially during the early years, were WW2 vets as well.

William Westmoreland graduated from West Point five years before Pearl Harbor.