Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
The estate lawyer gave me an incorrect number, for the beneficiary trust TIN. The number he gave me has two transposition errors, from the correct number. I have been filing 1041s, using the TIN of an unrelated trust, for 4 years <holding head in hands>.

I requested, and received, written verification of the correct TIN, for the beneficiary trust, from the IRS.

Now, what should I do?

I would follow Ira's advice to dump it on the lawyer, but if that doesn't work call the IRS, tell them you need to fix an "entity problem" (term of art), and work up the food chain until you find someone who understands you.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.