Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The faux economics lecture? Yeah, that was off the top of my head. I looked some of the details up on Google but for the most part, it's my understanding of where we are and how we got there.

After posting, I realized I left some stuff out. For example, companies who raised the minimum wage and improved benefits offered to lure employees back into the workforce created a class of Americans with as much if not more newfound disposable cash than the stimulus payments provided. Even now, especially in the service industry, employers are looking for help and offering higher starting wages than they did pre-pandemic. More money in your pocket turns into higher spending, which contributes to inflation.

As I noted, there are so many contributors to inflation but the federal government only has one real tool to combat it, and that tool is not wielded by the President but by the Fed, a non-partisan quasi-independent organization who guessed wrong. In their defense, things happened (Putin) that you could not have anticipated, but there were other things that in hindsight they should have considered possible.

Other than inflation and the GDP, there are none of the regular signs of inflation. Consumers are still spending, employers are still hiring, Those signals may change but they may not. We are not overemployed and while consumers may complain about the prices, that's not stopping them from spending.

Ideally, capitalist economic theory says spending will come down, supply will rise to meet demand and inflation will dissipate. But in an election season, it's not that easy. The possibility of a recession is swung like a blame club.

I'll also point out that the stock market is predictive of the future only in that it expresses the worries of the present. Worried inflation will stay high, bid the market down. Optimistic the Fed rate increases will lead to a soft landing, bid the market up. It's all short-term thinking.

Fuskie
Who wishes he were younger as well but wishes he could take the experience and bank account values back with him...

-----
Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I'll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), JFrog (FROG), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), Blackbaud (BLKB)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post: https://tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://www.fool.com/premium/live/
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.