Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The FDIC did not take over the holding company. There may be value in IndyMac’s holding company. Financial Freedom, the reverse mortgage business, has value and there is value in the mortgage servicing business. Whether or not any of this value can be salvaged for common shareholders is an open question.

This is interesting information, and I certainly hope it is the case. I did some digging, and the only statement I could find regarding the distribution of assets and liabilities within the holding company is the following from a prospectus from 424B3 dated 04/03/08:

"INDYMAC BANCORP, INC.
IndyMac Bancorp, Inc. is the holding company for IndyMac Bank, F.S.B. (Indymac Bank®), the 7th largest savings and loan in the nation. Indymac Bank, operating as a hybrid thrift/mortgage banker, provides fair and competitive home financing products. All of the assets and operations of Indymac are held or conducted within the federally-insured, thrift depository institution, Indymac Bank, whose primary funding consists of bank deposits, Federal Home Loan Bank advances, long term debt and equity. Indymac Bank’s home mortgage products consist primarily of single family, first lien mortgages. Indymac Bank also provides FDIC-insured retail banking products to facilitate consumers’ personal financial goals.
"

This would seem to indicate that everything was within the bank that was taken over. I'm pretty sure this isn't entirely true, since I believe the preferred debt is at the holding company level. I emailed investor relations, but they are in their "quite period" preceding earning, so I'm not too hopeful...
Anyone have any insight on this issue?
Mac
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.