Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
The fees he receives as Executor should be reported to him on Form 1099-MISC if greater than $600.

I have to disagree. Here's what the 1099-MISC instructions have to say:

Trade or business reporting only. Report on Form
1099-MISC only when payments are made in the course of your
trade or business. Personal payments are not reportable. You
are engaged in a trade or business if you operate for gain or
profit. However, nonprofit organizations are considered to be
engaged in a trade or business and are subject to these reporting requirements. Organizations also subject to these
reporting requirements include trusts of qualified pension or
profit-sharing plans of employers, certain organizations exempt
from tax under section 501(c) or (d), farmers’ cooperatives that
are exempt from tax under section 521, and widely held fixed
investment trusts. Payments by federal, state, or local
government agencies are also reportable.

I hope I'm right since I've never issued a 1099-MISC in the five estates I've administered.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.