Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
www.william-shakespeare.info/william-shakespeare-children-and-grandchildren.htm

What we know about Shakespeare's children is listed above. However, in the light of recent discoveries this may not include an illegitimate child many believe the result of Anne Hathaway and Sir Frances Bacon getting it on in Stratford while William was in London putting asses on seats at the Globe Theater.

In 2005, a package of manuscripts was found in High-Wycombe-on-Tyne with Shakespeare's name on them. To clarify this – an old house was being renovated and, in stripping off the wallpaper, it was found this wall paper was, in fact, original material written by William Shakespeare's illegitimate son, PDQ, aka PDQ Bard, the ale-drinking sot.

At the beginning of this series I must credit my collaborator Dr. Peter Schickele of the University of Hoople at North Dakota for his sterling work in assembling the work of PDQ Bach and aiding in this venture of Elizabethan posy. If you wish to find out more about Dr. Schickele's work on PDQ Back, google for it. What am I, your servant?

What is known about PDQ Bard is not much. There is a reference to him in The Elizabethan Chronicles as someone who drank a whole yard of ale in one gulp and subsequent projectile vomiting but beyond that little. What we do have are copies of his plays and there is some question to their provenance. For instance, Romeo and Juliet and Jay and Silent Bob seems to have many off-date cultural references. Nonetheless, our quest is not to question his play's titles (another being The Merchant of Wal-Mart) but to examine his fascination with his father's character, Feste.

In William Shakespeare's Feste we have a character of a privileged Fool able to give a greater understanding of other characters' motives and unintended consequences. In PDQ Bard's Feste we see a similar vein yet an overlay of broader political commentary. An example:

Feste: “On the fields of Agincourt was seen valor and sacrifice
Yet what means was used to bring the armies together but artifice of reason.
New weapons of great obliteration were said of being in their hands yet once the battle fought,
None to be found.”

This post is the beginning of what I promised to TMFTwitty: a broadening and greater depth into understanding Feste. Right now we are working on a roll of wallpaper (one side 'Roses at Sunset', the other PDQ Bard's Julius Caesar: The Salad Days).

More to come.

MichaelR

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.