Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The first book I remember reading of his was....crap. I can't remember the name. It was about some young kid growing up on a pseudo-islamist world, mentored by a spy pretending to be a beggar, then enrolling and turning out to be a long-lost bazillionaire heir. Anyone?

Citizen of the Galaxy. One of the "juveniles".

...So-called, because Heinlein had a contract whereby he produced a novel a year for - maybe Boy's Life? - thruout the 50s. So they were aimed to a younger audience. There's about 10 or 12 of them. I think they include:

Citizen of the Galaxy
The Star Beast
Farmer in the Sky
Red Planet
Tunnel in the Sky
Starman Jones
Space Cadet
Time for the Stars ? (about the telepathic twins? might not have the right name)
Have Spacesuit - Will Travel (one of his very finest, juvenile or otherwise)
Podkayne of Mars (maybe this was a juvey)
Between Planets ? (pretty mature stuff for a juvey)
The Rolling Stones ? maybe

One of the neat things about the juveys was their emphasis on personal responsibility. The young protagonists always in the end faced a tight spot which only they could resolve, and which required them shouldering enormous responsibility. In Citizen, Thorby is the heir to a huge fortune - and it turns out that some of that fortune is made in the slave trade, or supplying slavers, something like that. And the beginning of the novel had hinged on his redemption from slavery by his beggar mentor. Who turned out to be a secret agent working against slavery by monitoring shipments on that backwater world. So Thorby has great passion on the subject of slavery, and the difficult task of sorting thru business relationships and holding corporations et al to untangle the web of his inherited company's relationship with slavery.

...I'm not making the case that Citizen is a great novel, it's not. But it does share that "responsibility" theme, with the young protag put squarely on the hot seat at the end of the novel.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.