No. of Recommendations: 6
The fly in the ointment would be finding investments that guarantee 7% return.

Asking for a guaranteed 7% is asking for the impossible. If you want a guaranteed return you have to invest in T-bills....which don't pay anywhere near 7%.

I will even settle for long-term 7% return with large fluctuations (as happens with stocks.)
And the 7% should be within a reasonable horizon. Don't give me 80-year histories - I don't plan to invest for 80 years! Rolling 10-15 years history max.

Now we're talking!

Consult the "Rolling N yr" tab in my S&P 500 spreadsheet. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbzvg74iyeyfwt6/SPX-monthly-1950-2...

For all rolling 10 year periods (actually all rolling 120 month periods) from Jan 1950 to Jan 2016, the return statistics are:
Avg  10.5%
Med 10.4%
Min -3.5%
Max 19.4%

The average and median are well above 7%, but that worst case of -3.5% would be nasty.
Obviously we'd like to know the likelihood of getting less than X%.
At the low end of the percentile range:
percentile*    This table gives a picture of the worst-case performances.
0% -3.5%
5% 2.2%
10% 3.6%
20% 5.9%
25% 7.0%

So, 3/4'rd of the 10 year periods returned more than 7% and 1/4'th returned less than 7%. The odds are 3 to 1 in your favor.

But he was talking about a 3.5% mortgage. That's just a tad under the 10'th percentile. So.....odds 9 to 1 in your favor.

I'm a great believer in the simple timing scheme that is mentioned in the spreadsheet. With that, the percentiles are:
0% 3.9%
1% 6.3%
2% 7.6%
3% 8.6%

Much better. Much, much better. Here, the *worst* 10 year period was more than the 3.5% mortgage.

This is all historical statistics, of course. There is no way to predict what the next 10 years will bring.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.