No. of Recommendations: 0
The following post is not related to Retirement Investing, but I am posting it here just to respond to a question posted here. If this suggestion doesn't work for you, then you can either email me, or perhaps it would be a problem better suited for one of the more tech-related boards.

I have tried this out but I have a big problem with it. Most of the time it dies when I try to click on
Forecast with a java.lang.OutofMemoryError. But once in awhile it will work. Why is this???

My guess is that it works sometimes because you're experiencing memory drain. Essentially, I think your Netscape program is running out of memory. If I am correct, you can probably fix the problem by doing one or all of these things: 1)getting more RAM 2)increasing the computer's virtual memory or 3)making sure you try to access this page only after a fresh startup or restart of your computer system.

If you would to read about my description of memory drain, read on.

All of the programs you use on your computer use RAM (memory), and when you run an application and then quit, it usually doesn't give back all the memory. Say you have 10 megs of unused RAM on your computer, and you run MS Word, and it uses 5 megs of ram (I don't know, I'm just making it up). You're left with 5 megs free. You quit MS Word. Now your computer may only have 9.9 Megs free. You do this a lot and you may have considerably less than 10 Megs of free RAM.

Netscape may be using something like 8 Megs of RAM. When you have to access the part of Netscape which runs Java, it might use more like 9 Megs of RAM. If you've been using your computer a lot, netscape may run okay on it's 8 megs of RAM, but when it trys to start up Java, it might be trying to dip into another Meg or two, when you don't have that much RAM left.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.