Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 19
The Gemstar/TV Guider merger is now a closed transaction. Press releases and articles about it are everywhere.

--Mike Buckley

Thank goodness. It was nice to see our gorilla/godzilla candidate elevated $11 and change on the closure. Now, we need the JDS Uniphase and SDL transaction to close over the next 6 to 8 months...

A list of gorillas and chimps was requested or asked about in the original post of this thread and I jumped on to see what Mike had compiled. Check the FAQ, but here are a few we would all agree on:

Intel - microprocessor gorilla
Cisco - enterprise networking router gorilla
Microsoft - PC OS gorilla
Oracle - client/server database gorilla
Siebel - CRM gorilla
i2 - SCM gorilla
PeolpleSoft - human resources gorilla
Qualcomm - CDMA gorilla

There are plenty of others in the candidate mold that warrant discussion and research. A few, but certainly not limited to, would include Brocade, SanDisk, Cree, Network Appliance, Redback, Rambus among others.

Chimps? This list could get long if you factor in the cross marketing and participation of all the enterprise application vendors who have solutions outside of their dominant niche. If you add in the eBusiness solutions then the chimp list magnifies even more. We could list i2, Siebel, Oracle, SAP, PeopleSoft, Manugistics, Nortel, Remedy and many, many others who qualify as a chimp in the application software solutions for both the client/server computing architecture as well as the zero install clien computing architecture. It's an amazing space where you will find many competing against each other in a variety of segments. Then we could mention Apple as an OS chimp. I'll leave the exact chimp breakdown for all the various sectors to someone who may happen to have it all written down. Add in the reality that many gorillas also have technologies that participate in royalty games as well and we could really get a full, cross pollination list of interest.

We wouldn't want to forget a few of the strongest Kings out there that many of us like:

EMC
JDS Uniphase
Broadcom

I welcome all others to fill in all the blanks that I have skipped over, but hot coffee and muffins await in the next room at the moment....

BB

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.