Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
The Ghost <grin>

Jon
It's you is it <ggg> !!

Have just re-read your e - Vincents eh !! - I envy you !! You know I can remember going to Pride and Sharks in Camberwell Rd about 1956 and there was a line of Vincents for sale around the 185 pound mark. Black Shadows mainly with a sprinkling of White Lightnings (I think they were called that - they had white metal bearings). Seems incredible today but no-one wanted to buy them.
The first bike I ever owned was an Excelsior 197cc - I paid 25 pounds for it and I've still got the receipt. I went to a show of restored bikes a few months ago and I couldn't believe it - there was an Excelsior just like mine. Another bike I saw was a restored Douglas Dragonfly - they sold for around 200 pounds new before the firm went under - and I always wanted one.
Another bike was a Rudge Ulster vintage around 1936 - my father owned one and until that point I'd never seen one - girder forks, solid rear end. My father said it was the fastest bike on the road and could do 80mph two up. I can just imagine my mother hanging on like grim death - it must have frightened the life out of her.
Been into bikes for years - Enfield, Jawa, Matchy, Beezas, AJS - had 'em all at one time. Still thinking of buying and restoring a BMW but haven't got around to it yet.
Just thought of that coal mining village in Yorkshire I used to go to - a place called Counden (think that's how you spell it).
I've still got photos of me and my Enfield Bullet on the North Yorkshire Moors - Kirby Moorside, Pickering, Wheedale, Whitby.
Ah Jon !! - nostalgia washes over me - where have the years gone ??
Regards
Harmy
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.