Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I finally get to celebrate my birthday my way. My wife always wants to have a big party with a bunch of people over. I have never really felt comfortable doing that. It just seems like kids stuff to me. But she always talks me into it. Ok, so there really isn't much talking going on, but anyway, she has ways of getting me to agree.

This year however, I told her no party. "I am not going to invite a bunch of people over and watch them eat cake when I can't." She agreed and now I get to return to my pre-martial tradition of taking the day off work and doing something I have never done before. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet, but I will find something.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I understand how you feel - DM doesn't always think about how preparing 2 sets of foods, one for me and sugar-filled for the rest of the family, makes me feel. But I also learned that avoiding friends and social environments because I can't/shouldn't eat the foods is not healthy either. Do not let others dictate to you the situations in which you feel comfortable.

The enjoyment of a birthday party comes from being among friends, not from the eating. It comes from the bad singing of Happy Birthday, not gorging on icing. How about a compromise - a small gathering of close friends with low carb or reduced sugar birthday cake and Coke Zero. Have her prepare sugar free foods so that you can join in on the eating, getting your guests to celebrate on your terms.

And you can still take the day off and do something you have never done before.

Fuskie
Who is reminded that birthdays are about celebrating the great things in your life and not getting dragged down by the negatives...
No. of Recommendations: 1
I think you misunderstood. I hate having a birthday party. I'm happy that diabetes has given me an excuse to not have one.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I think you misunderstood. I hate having a birthday party.

Oh, well that's different. Glad you could get your diabetes to work for you!

Fuskie
Whose August birthday while most kids were away at summer camp meant never being big on parties either but still likes getting together with friends and family...