Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The idea of cash king investing is investingin a company with superior earning power,that means companies with high gross margins,a brand name, high market share,a light business finally resulting in extraordinary balance sheet strenght.Its essentially a low risk investment approach,or speaking with Warren Buffets language: a business,even fools cannot run to the ground.

This would disqualify co.like Southwestern (capital intense,cutthroat business) and also perhaps co.like Nokia,Ericsson ( no extraordinary market shares,lookalike products, Dell:also cutthroat business...) I would rather buy a co. in a stable non price elastic consumer market than a cash rich co.in a technology market. the reason for this is,that technology may change quickly and cash may dwindle fast but brand recognition not...
I would also like to dilute JNJ from the list,because its another drug stock, but doesn't meet the cash king criteria as well as PFE.
If we look at market share, brand recognicition and gross margin,there is still left:

LVMH
GE
Disney (but highly leveraged)
Medtronic
WWY
MO (but the tobacco deal looms..)

Following this approach,I think LVMH (this is my favorite) WWY and Medtronic should make as viable C-K's. All three co. totally dominate their markets. I have to admit that both WWY and Medtronic beat LVMH by the numbers. LVMH (or LVMHY ticker symbol) hasn't the superior shareholder returns that both WWY and Medtronic have.
However,I think that a foreign stock may be a nice diversification for a CK portfolio...

IMHO
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.