Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
The IRS says that you can apply the overpayment to a subsequent tax year without penalty within certain limits & with certain conditions.

This is unequivocably false, and my request for an IRS citation will yield nothing but "[fill in the blank] did it."

IRS mentions nothing about earnings when you just pay the penalty on the excess contribution because there's no requirement that you do anything about earnings in this scenario.

What someone gets away with and what the law provides are not the same thing. Think OJ.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.