No. of Recommendations: 8
The lack of experience and logical thought is only surpassed by the fractional understanding of chemistry and physics. If you didn't study it and you don't have experience with it, listen to those who are trying to help you figure it out!

/rant off/

Oil sands are very sticky, high viscosity tars, terpentines and pitch which is only slightly better than coal. It has seeped into the sands. It is liberated with oxygen, or high temperature steam or surfactants or excavation and rinsing, etc.

The CO2 sequestration (or fixation, here) is going to be highly dependant on the reservoir type and depth. Looking at oil sands which are shallow, the ability to fix CO2 is going to be problematic and partially effective.

Moving down to firmer rock and deeper depths, there is no route to the surface without filtering, and chemical modification into other compounds like calcium carbonate (limestone) and others. Again, situation, position and geography specific.

Even if I had the data from one location, I would not guess at the % range for any other and my study would cost thousands of dollars without excellent geotech and reservoir prework.
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.