No. of Recommendations: 0
The larger the market, the safer the investment...

you wrote

This is false, the grocery store business is huge and you're lucky to make 1% margins in that line of work. Nobody thinks of them as safe. Banking and Mortgages was a huge market in 2007 and we know what happened in 2008.

This statement is loosing context I think. If we are to change that statement by adding a grocery operator is able to increase sales by 50+ percent with gross margin about 60% whereas the overall market is growing at 3%. Then you can see that this upstart is taking market share from the existing players. Now its up to you to decide whether competition can quickly add the capability to minimize the impact of whether this new upstart will continue to gain traction for some foreseeable future. If you can surmise that the advantage is not easily surmountable than would it make you more interested?? I think thats what she may be indicating.

Just hoping to provide full context as I understand and not debating anything about her background. Its definitely odd for someone w.o finance background to have such deep insights but that have been done by others so definitely out of realm of possibility.

- Ruhaan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.