Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The law applies the same to residents and non-residents alike. Again, in my article I explain that Uncle Sammy does not want to you claim a tax loss on your tax return, but retain the same economic interest in the shares for the future. In your example, you would have a $1,000 loss that would reduce your US taxes, BUT you would still be holding the very same shares of stock. So you actually have no ecnonmic risk but you have generated a tax loss. Uncle Sammy doesn't like that.

BUT.....i now have a lower cost base so if the stock rises back up and i sell i now have a gain to report -
if i sell the stock at the original sell price then my new gain exactly offset the "wash" loss.....?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.