Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 94
...is a bright, shiny Gold star.

I've made it, I'm finally here, 5000 posts. I have been thinking about what to post for this momentous occasion and I came up with several possibilities. If I knew no one else would read this except my friends at Gimme My Stars, I would just put something generic like...

I have reached Gold star status, I would like to thank <insert your name here> for reading my crap, yada yada yada.

But knowing you guys are going to recommend this post regardless of what it says, the possibility of “outsiders” reading it is more than likely. So since it bugs me when people who have never posted here call us “The board with no content”, I thought I would at least say something here worth their time and effort.

About a year and a half ago my wife asked me to try to learn a little about investing and managing our money. While at the library looking in the section on investing, I noticed one book that stood out. This book had 2 goofy looking guys on it with jester caps. Being completely bored by all previous attempts at reading about the stock market, I picked this one up with the hope that they could actually make this stuff interesting and fun. From the first chapter I knew this book would be different. They mentioned the Web site in their book, so I decided to check it out. I was pleasantly surprised by all the useful information I found. When I registered with the Fool, I signed up for a few of the newsletters they were hocking. While I was reading one of them, I became interested in a subject mentioned on the “Living Below Your Means” board. I clicked through the link and found even more useful information. After reading that board for a few weeks I decided to ask a few questions myself. After I received the first reply, I was hooked.

While screwing around one night, I was looking at the discussion board area of the Fool, and noticed this one board with an odd name. “Gimme My Stars”, what's that all about? After reading IFindKarma's first post I thought, “What a stupid concept, posting nonsense just to get a silly star next to your name.” Isn't it what you say that matters, not how many times you've said it? So after my third beer, I posted this lame poem...
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1380393000206000&sort

I didn't think anything of it and continued posting at the LBYM board. I noticed after checking my profile one night, my recommendations had increased dramatically. I looked through a dozen or so previous posts and came across my stupid little poem with 12 recs!!! Cool! I thought “Wow 12 people liked my poem enough to click the recommendation button”. Little did I know it was 2 people and 10 doppelgangers : )

Now that little board has grown several times over and spawned it's own little boards all over the Fool. I bet IFindKarma would never of known the enormity of the monster he created. I have met several friends along the way, some have gone away, some have stayed to have more fun, all hold a special place in my heart. There have been countless laughs and several fond memories, I treasure all of you that have been a part of my life.

I have a few things I've done at the Fool that I'm very proud of...
The Gimme My Stars Web site,
http://www.geocities.com/gimmemystars

The GMS FAQ/TLA,
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13760205

And the two boards I started, Stay-at-home Moms and Dads, and Pollapalooza. I plan to get those boards a little more active in the near future. GMS causes you to be very neglectful sometimes.

It would be impossible to mention all the people I want to thank, this post ,by GMS standards is already way too long. I think most of you know how I feel about you, I've been openly honest about that. I would like to thank one person though, who deserves a special note in my Gold star post, my wife Sherri. She has put up with this little obsession of mine all this time. She doesn't quite understand my fascination with GMS, but she figures there could be worse things in which I show an interest. I also think it would be a good idea to thank the Gardner brothers, David and Tom, for starting the best place on the internet, The Motley Fool.

I was going to add several comments, anecdotes, and stories about certain posters here, to this post, but I think I've gone on long enough. In the near future I will be starting a new board. When you come to visit that board, I will share what I wanted to say to you then.

Yours in GMS,
as always...

Palmer

Star On!!! : )
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.