No. of Recommendations: 2
Not a new book but new to me - and pretty good space opera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Way_to_a_Small,_Angry...

It was shortlisted for the 2016 Arthur C. Clarke Award,[4] and earned Chambers a nomination for the British Fantasy Awards' 2016 "Sydney James Bounds Award for Best Newcomer".[5] It was the first self-published novel to be shortlisted for the Kitschies Golden Tentacle for Best Debut Novel.[6]

-------------

Reading the second in the series now.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I read somewhere -multiple places - that it was overtly choked with PC, to the point where it became noticeable. Did you agree with this? It seemed interesting, but honestly I have to admit that when i see that a book won an award these days it makes me more cautious, not less so (esp with new authors) - I don't want to be preached at in an overt way in this part of my life.

thoughts? I thought about just getting the library copy to check it out...
check that - the link you provided makes it obvious that PC is actually the dominant theme...glad you liked it
that it was overtly choked with PC, to the point where it became noticeable. Did you agree with this

Yes and no. It is noticeable, but it is part of the story. It isn't preachy and it doesn't try to convert the reader.

In much the same way that it was noticeable in Star Trek. Such Scifi is going to deal with xenophobia and racism one way or another. I wouldn't call that PC; it is just a fact of storytelling when you have multiple sentient species.

I thought about just getting the library copy to check it out...

That's what I did.
the link you provided makes it obvious that PC is actually the dominant theme

To each his own, but I think you focused on a single sentence/review on wiki. No other review out of the other 8-10 mention anything that might be construed as PC. The gender fluidity mentioned is science and is hardly PC. Amphibians on earth can change gender. Why would it be PC for a space alien to evolve to be one gender when it is young (female) and another gender when it is old (male)?
No. of Recommendations: 1
couple sentences

this did not make me want to read it: "SF for the Tumblr generation"

course, you liked it, so I'll check it from the library...

---

Before Discovery, I could recognize a distinctive moral code on ST - course, the newest one completely threw that out the window (admirals sleeping with captains, etc.)

--

minor, but recommend a documentary on Netflix called the 'Perfect Bid' if you have any interest in the gameshow Price is Right - very well done, but what was really revealing, and maybe this was entirely due to editing but somehow my guess is that wasn't the reason, but contrast the loving way Bob Barker speaks about his audience (and behaved on stage with effortless grace and style) and the entitled scornful 'F' filled rants of the replacement
p.s. also on Prime
No. of Recommendations: 1
It is noticeable, but it is part of the story. It isn't preachy and it doesn't try to convert the reader.

fwiw, I got a library copy and agree with this completely...that said, the book is written in a style that I found infuriating at times and I couldn't get past 70 pages or so before skimming. Some brief comments:

*the book is like a love van in the 1960s with drugs in the air and various people in the van doing their thing and conversations and this and that and if you think you'd like that, then this is the book for you

*ever been to a restaurant and a group of teenagers uses the F word and S word and other words repeatedly and you both worry about the fate of humanity and whether the parents despair that any sort of maturity shows up? If you are the teenagers this again is the book for you.

*plot? where is it? The first 1/10th of the book features one character being introduced in a ship to various folks and it is talk, talk, talk, talk, and more talk. Talk with food, and various food descriptions and species descriptions and personal descriptions and room descriptions and....could you just get with it. There are VERY long passages on this book that you can absolutely skip and not miss a thing. And it is all emote, emote, and emote to the point where you just want to scream - this is one of those books where you know during every single page and every word and every chapter that a very young woman is writing the book (which is fine, but no one should be least surprised that the author is from California, and I can't think of a single author I've read where I could tell immediately where she was raised).

it was apparently self-published, and IMO the author went on WAY too long, never editing a thing, as she clearly has some talent but if you've ever read Alan Dean Foster's earlier stuff imagine him writing a book and padding it with 4x as many pages as he does - that's what you get here, but again if there is a plot in these words I never found one.

Course, as noted this is an "award" winning book with surprises me zero iota. It fits in very well with Gardiner Dozois (RIP) mantra that you award books and stories that do odd things and are written in a certain way but ultimately and 95% unreadable. Maybe you will feel different...but don't buy it - get it from the library instead.
p.s.

on the other hand, hawkwin liked the book
and the fact that i didn't doesn't mean you won't like it

we all have books we like that others don't....apologize if I sounded unusually harsh in the last note, esp. when it was linked to a favorable writeup