Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
The lower limit for what you have to report is $0. You are obligated to report all of your income. The company that hired you as a non-employee does not have to report payments which total less than $600, but many do. Whether or not they choose to file a 1099-MISC, you are still required to report the income.

This income should be reported on Schedule C or C-EZ. As to the "bit of a tax headache" it's caused, you can always choose either to not moonlight, or to devote enough effort to make this a reliable source of income.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.