Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The main thing I don't care about modern Lodge cast iron cookware is the pebbly cooking surface, especially in their skillets. It's not as significant a characteristic in, say a Dutch oven, in which you generally use some liquid, which helps to keep food from sticking.

I have an enameled cast iron oval-shaped Dutch oven/roaster and casserole baking pot, made by Cuisinart. It wasn't overly expensive and it works well for baking casseroles and roasts and making soups, and I like the quality better than Lodge's enameled cast iron. It's not Le Crueset, but the quality of the baked-on enamel coating is very decent and it's less work to clean and maintain than seasoned black cast iron. You do need/should use non-stick cooking utensils (I prefer wood over rubber-coated) and you need to be careful not to scratch or chip the enamel in washing and handling.

This is one of the Cuisinart enameled cast iron pieces I like - 5-Star rated in 86 reviews and free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CI755-30CR-Enameled-Casserol...

I don't care for their enameled cast iron skillets that much. Wagner Ware and Griswold cast iron are my favorites in skillets, though I do have a decent covered stainless steel skillet - I think it's Cuisinart, w/o looking, and I haven't, yet, gotten around to seasoning the inexpensive carbon steel skillets that I bought, but I look forward to doing so.

I also need to finish cleaning, and season, a carbon steel WOK an Asian couple who own a restaurant on Scott AFB gave me. I have a portable propane jet burner to use with it, which also works well in cooking crab boils or steaming lobsters with a tall 36-qt stainless steel pot with basket and lifter - and also works well as a deep fryer - Pretty much like this one, except that I don't see the lifter that also serves to keep the basket off of the bottom of the pot that the one that I have features: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-1136-Stainless-Steamer/d...

Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.