No. of Recommendations: 16
Article warns that it may be difficult to escape Medicare Advantage and return to traditional Medicare if you're unhappy. Only 4 states allow retirees to buy a Medicare supplement plan without medical underwriting.

I give credit to the SHIP seminar I attended last year. They were very careful to warn attendees of this "roach motel" feature of Medicare Advantage.

Medicare Advantage Enrollees Discover Dirty Little Secret
https://www.medpagetoday.com/publichealthpolicy/medicare/836...

Like many of the 22 million seniors now enrolled in Medicare Advantage (MA) plans, Tom Mills belatedly discovered its dirty little secret.

Also called Part C, these plans can cover a broad array of health services at low cost -- that is, until one gets sick, at which point out-of-pocket costs can soar. But once in an MA plan, getting out can be even less affordable.

<snip>

The comments to the article are especially enlightening.

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
We have stayed with Medicare and United Healthcare Medigap for all these years. Always covers everything nicely... so far.

(No, we do not have Plan D - drugs. Almost always have had generics so far.)

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 1
1. If the link requires you to register to read and you don't care to do so, open it in an incognito window: In Chrome, right click and select "Open In Incognito Window."

2. People of the age where they're staring Medicare or starting to think about it will get the Roach Motel reference ("They check in but don't check out"). My first ultimate reaction was "Hotel California"-"You can check in any time you like, but you can never leave."-
No. of Recommendations: 2
This article is a bit misleading. It speaks of Medicare Advantage as being one homogeneous group in which all members behave the same. There are actually 4 kinds of MA plans that have little in common other than enrollment rules. Group Model HMOs, Contract HMO/PPO, HMO-POS and Private Fee for Service (also Special Needs MA Plans, but these are for high use, low income eligibles)

And I personally put little value on any argument that uses anecdotal cases. I'm not saying such cases may not be important to the individual affected, I'm only saying you are usually only hearing part of the story, there may be a hidden agenda and emotion is what is used to drive opinion usually at the expense of facts.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 5
BruceCM writes,

This article is a bit misleading. It speaks of Medicare Advantage as being one homogeneous group in which all members behave the same. There are actually 4 kinds of MA plans that have little in common other than enrollment rules. Group Model HMOs, Contract HMO/PPO, HMO-POS and Private Fee for Service (also Special Needs MA Plans, but these are for high use, low income eligibles)

</snip>

Which of the 4 types of Medicare Advantage schemes allow you to switch back to traditional Medicare and buy a Medigap Plan without medical underwriting?

The SHIP seminar I attended seemed to indicate that the "roach motel" feature of Medicare Advantage applied to all MA plans. Is there some exception?

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 0
The SHIP seminar I attended seemed to indicate that the "roach motel" feature of Medicare Advantage applied to all MA plans. Is there some exception?

Sure, the same exceptions that apply to Medicare supplements that are available after the Medicare enrollee electively discontinues their existing supplement after 12 months. Are Medicare supplements 'roach motels' too?

guaranteed issue, for any form of private Medicare insurance, only occurs during initial enrollment and during special enrollment after 12 months of coverage when the enrollee loses coverage due to circumstances beyond his/her control.

BruceM