Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
A BID to save nearly £3billion by slashing appointments with a doctor and treating patients via computer will put lives at risk, ministers were warned.

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt is planning a technological revolution that could spell the end of the traditional doctor’s surgery.

A new system of “virtual clinics” is being planned in which GPs connect with patients via iPads and Skype, an idea that NHS bosses are importing from India.

The reforms would save £2.9billion “almost immediately” and improve the lives of most patients, for example by avoiding the need to find child care during appointments, Health Minister Dr Dan Poulter said last week.

However, critics are concerned the initiative would create a two-tier NHS in which the less technologically able, particularly the elderly, would be left behind.

Shadow Health Secretary Andy Burnham called the plan “dangerous”, while Age UK said cutting the number of personal appointments would erode the vital trust between doctor and patient.

We need to harness and better utilise more modern types of technology such as telehealth and mobile technology

The ideas, contained in a Health Department report called Digital First, include arming community nurses with iPads in rural areas and making more use of Skype video calling between GPs and patients. There will be more online assessments “augmented” with video calls."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/360369/End-of-the-Doctor...

---

After you wait on line for half an hour ( "Your call is important to us. All doctors are currently busy. Please stay on the line and your call will be ignored in the order they are received. Thank you - your National Health Care system") you might get to speak to a screener - ie, nurse, who will then decide if your 'case' is urgent enough to speak to a doctor or not.

t
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
... and treating patients via computer...

Back in medical school, just about all my attendings (teachers) drove home the fact, you don't make a diagnosis over the phone. You have to put your hands on the patients, i.e., you need to see them in person. So many things can be "overlooked" on a phone call.

Ditto with computers.

Then throw in the first law of computer programming, GIGO, Garbage In Garbage Out. Who will write the algorithms? How extensive? How up to date? Will all the "bugs" be caught before going live? I seriously doubt it.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 2
"Back in medical school, just about all my attendings (teachers) drove home the fact, you don't make a diagnosis over the phone. You have to put your hands on the patients, i.e., you need to see them in person. So many things can be "overlooked" on a phone call. Ditto with computers.Then throw in the first law of computer programming, GIGO, Garbage In Garbage Out. Who will write the algorithms? How extensive? How up to date? Will all the "bugs" be caught before going live? I seriously doubt it." - JLC

-------------------

Besides which people lie. One of the reasons I hate going to the doctor is because the first thing they do is weigh me - which I hate. I don't want to know. But doctors can tell a lot by if you've gained or lost weight. Diabetes, cancer, etc. Any unexplained weight loss or gain is a signal that something has changed.

Fat people are like alcoholics when it comes to hiding their eating habits. They don't want to get caught. They want to continue stuffing their faces with twinkies and barbecue potato chips and ice cream and pizza and large plates of spaghetti.

Sex is another bug-a-boo. People are embarrassed and don't want to tell the doctor about their sex habits, or lack thereof but it too can be a sign that something is wrong.

And who likes to talk about their bowel habits? Yet feces is full of information about the health of the body and the gut and what is going on inside the body. Loose stools, blood, constipation, etc. is a sign on the health of the gut.

And urine? Who wants to talk about the color of their urine, or if it's cloudy, or what or where their genitals have been? Or if they've been in a hot tub and had their genitals pushed up against a jet of water shooting dirty filthy bacteria jaccuzi water up their kah-slop-pus.

It's embarrassing talking about our most intimate aspects of our lives yet that is a large portion of where problems arise. Unless the doctor can form a rapport with the patient and get them to open up and be honest they can't help you.

It is too easy to lie on a computer or over the phone.

Art
No. of Recommendations: 1
art:"Besides which people lie. One of the reasons I hate going to the doctor is because the first thing they do is weigh me - which I hate."

I always worry about adding a few pounds....gotta fight the middle all the time.....

Had a slice of left over pizza (I arrange that) plus a bit of left over lasagna for lunch. Dinner at the Great Wall buffet tonight....

Gotta watch the weight..easy to add pounds...hard to take them off......last night's pizza...checked the box...half was about 1000 calories and full day worth of sodium...might not buy that brand again. It was red baron pizza...good....but i got slices for the next 3 days, too....about 300 cal a slice for lunch.....

------

" I don't want to know. But doctors can tell a lot by if you've gained or lost weight. Diabetes, cancer, etc. Any unexplained weight loss or gain is a signal that something has changed."

I got a scale...I pass by it every day but about once a week I get on it....

I'd bet there is one in your house.

-------

"Fat people are like alcoholics when it comes to hiding their eating habits. They don't want to get caught. They want to continue stuffing their faces with twinkies and barbecue potato chips and ice cream and pizza and large plates of spaghetti.zzzzzzzz'

Yeah...but then the problems set in...you don't sleep as well....your blood pressure goes up......the doc isn't as happy with the test results...

------

"And who likes to talk about their bowel habits? Yet feces is full of information about the health of the body and the gut and what is going on inside the body. Loose stools, blood, constipation, etc. is a sign on the health of the gut."

My doc doesn't usually ask about that..... just asks if anything not normal...

------

"And urine? Who wants to talk about the color of their urine, or if it's cloudy, or what or where their genitals have been? Or if they've been in a hot tub and had their genitals pushed up against a jet of water shooting dirty filthy bacteria jaccuzi water up their kah-slop-pus."

they don't even do pee tests any more these days. I guess it didn't tell them much.

Unless you complain...

------

"It is too easy to lie on a computer or over the phone. "

patient...Oh..I have this horrendous pain...I need pain pills...lots of them.....oh, and put me in for Medical Marijuana. I need something to relieve this 'chronic pain'.......

t.
... and treating patients via computer...

Back in medical school, just about all my attendings (teachers) drove home the fact, you don't make a diagnosis over the phone. You have to put your hands on the patients, i.e., you need to see them in person. So many things can be "overlooked" on a phone call.

Ditto with computers.

Then throw in the first law of computer programming, GIGO, Garbage In Garbage Out. Who will write the algorithms? How extensive? How up to date? Will all the "bugs" be caught before going live? I seriously doubt it.

JLC

I didn't read it that the diagnosis would be from a computer program.

I don't agree that there is no appropriate use. Having had the flu and conjunctivits, it was nice to have to the option of not physically going to my doctor's office because I wouldn't have for several days.
"I don't agree that there is no appropriate use. Having had the flu and conjunctivits, it was nice to have to the option of not physically going to my doctor's office because I wouldn't have for several days. "

If you've got the flu, they're going to tell you to drink lots of fluids, rest.....eat....sleep.....

why even bother?

t.
"Having had the flu and conjunctivits, it was nice to have to the option of not physically going to my doctor's office because I wouldn't have for several days. "

He might have also told you what a jerk you were for not getting a flu shot, too...

t
why even bother?

t.

Treatment for the eye infection. The flu made it impractical to leave my house.
He might have also told you what a jerk you were for not getting a flu shot, too...

t

Flu shots don't cover every type of flu. It was the year that the regular and H1N1 flu shots were separate. I had the regular flu shot, but availability of the N1H1 was limited for those in good health.

I will never know if it was H1N1 or just a variety of flu not covered by the flu shots.